Rubber bands for AL40 deco bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dumpster. That may actually be a way for me to use the larger SeMar bands - they look very much like they're cut from scrap inner tubes. I'll try knotting and see how it fits.

Thanks Lynne; We may have gotten an odd size from SeMar. The small ones just slide gently off the AL40 when I stand it up. I'll measure tonight and post a number.

Henrik

I had the same issue I think with those ones, from a link someone else gave to Lynne. The small ones were good for AL80s and the medium were good for
nothing if I recall correctly. Both sizes were looser than I usually like it on the 40s, especially as I place the lower band below the "handle" so it needs to be snug on just the tank.

I also dont like mine too tight (I have used some DiveRite ones before on 80s that I needed both hands and almost had to "stand" on the tank with my fins to operate)

I have had nothing but irksomeness with the round bungee no matter what "attachment" is used to stop it rolling up/down the tank (it always does) and I dont like to tie knots in flat rubber or bungee to make a loop as it's just something that's bound to fail at the one time you'd rather it didn't.

That may sound overly picky but once you start to add stages, what is a small annoyance with one bottle suddenly gets more frustrating.

I think I used to use wheelbarrow innertubes for 40s, but I dont remember if there was a particular size that worked the best

I sometimes use round bungie below the tail. Its a bit of a kludge but ok way down there since you're not restowing the reg in both elastics anyway (at least I rarely do). Anywhere else and it'll roll up and off the tank. All the various bungie connecting tricks are just kludges on kludges IMO. Get flat inner tube of the correct size. 1 tube will last you your entire career.

I took a bike inner-tube and cut a strip that I then contact-cemented into a band. Net cost: $2.

Henrik, I just looked on a motorcycle forum and it seems the sizing system for tubes is
somewhat unclear to say the least. Anyway I did find a chart that showed some slightly
larger rear motorcycle tubes. The place I got mine from stopped at the 5.00 - 5.10
size (this actually measured 3.25 cross-section?) which is right for my 13cf (4.25 dia) but would
probably be to snug for a 5.25 diameter pony. I did see the next size up as a 6.00 - 6.25 which I think will
measure out to 4.25 dia which is one inch smaller diameter than the 40cf pony. I may try this 6.00-6.25
when I step up to a 30cf pony. These numbers above are the first numbers on the tube box, the last number
is rim size and will be 14, 16, etc. The middle numbers are metric and I believe are describing the width and
height of the tire, 150/80 etc. disclaimer: I am not an inner-tube expert and do not play one on TV !

Thanks idive - that's a lot of MC inner tube research. The first numbers in your research I think refers to rim width. I'll call some of the local shops and see if they have some old tubes I can have.

Lynne: the small rubber bands we got from SeMar are just shy of 9" long when folded, so about 17 3/4" in circumference.

Henrik

cbrich; thanks for the links. I've seen those EPDM bands, and in the big scheme of things $4 is really insignificant. But sometimes I enjoy tracking down the cheap "shade tree" options as well :)

Henrik

Henrik, I'm sorry; I was going to measure our bands before I left for work today, and I forgot. I'll do it Saturday, when I get home. (Or maybe I can talk Peter into doing it while I'm here.)

nielsent, have you had any trouble with the round elastic rolling on the tanks? I tried surgical tubing and bungie before I went to the SeaMar bands, but anything round seemed to want to roll up and off the tank when I deploy the reg.

Exactly, bungi material or latex bands are not the optimal material.

Also, you want a tractor trailor tube. they are thicker and stronger. You cut a 1 inch straight strip and then tie it around whatever tank you want. No need to search out some specific type of bike tube. I also make knife straps, second stage necklaces, mask strap and even a set of fin straps for SP fins(when i used to use them) from the same material (and of course weight belts too).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom