Rubber sheet for diaphragm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because it is a source of possible premature failure if you don't change it out, so you end up wasting time having to do an extra rebuild later on. it also costs very little if you are punching them yourself or buying them in bulk from trident.

because it is a source of possible premature failure if you don't change it out, so you end up wasting time having to do an extra rebuild later on. it also costs very little if you are punching them yourself or buying them in bulk from trident.

In a pinch can be flipped?

In a pinch can be flipped?
Not in most regs. That one in the one photo with the indentations and raised center started out flat. When I service a reg the diaphragm is the 1st item removed and the 1st one installed. The old one gets taken out by poking a hole in it and lifting it out.
When I send the old parts back with the reg they go in a bag labeled do not re-use. The hole ensures it can't be.

Not in most regs. That one in the one photo with the indentations and raised center started out flat. When I service a reg the diaphragm is the 1st item removed and the 1st one installed. The old one gets taken out by poking a hole in it and lifting it out.
When I send the old parts back with the reg they go in a bag labeled do not re-use. The hole ensures it can't be.

That's what I've always been told... but the why is what gets me? I mean, it looks brand new? Is it jsut the indentation that causes it to be "old"? I have a hard time telling which side was even down after I take it out (although some are fairly easy to tell).

If one is going to DIY a diaphragm, take note of the the thickness as well as the diameter. One manufacturer may use a different spec than other manufactures. As a matter of fact, Scubapro uses a different thickness of diaphragm in the MK17/19 than they do in a MK11/18 kit. Considering how similar the internals of these regs are, it would be easy to unwittingly make that error.

My friend @rsingler has a saying, "It (scuba regulator maintenance) ain't rocket science. But it is precise."

I just saw this, so sorry about the late answer. Would stiffness play a role here? As some materials are much stiffer than others.

Silicon is much floppier than EPDM

Stiffness is less critical than you might think, as diaphragm movement is so small.
It is more critical in the diaphragm of the environmental seal above it, because this translates into "effective diameter" applying ambient pressure to the transpiston, and thence to the main diaphragm. Too stiff a material for the env seal, and IP matching as you descend will lag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom