rubber weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These bolt-on weights are reminiscent of commercial weight belts that have been used for decades.

miller_commercial_weight_belt.jpeg

Dräger made the most elegant clip-on weights I have seen. A hinge is molded into the lead and a thin stainless band goes between the diver and the belt. A stainless rectangular ring clips onto a “hook” molded into the top of the weight.

DrägerBelt.jpg

We recently posted a video which highlights the benefits of a rubber belt.

It is directed toward freedivers, but the benefits of an elastic belt with a secure, quick release buckle will be realized by SCUBA divers as well..

[video=youtube_share;XwA8DL6-Ya0]http://youtu.be/XwA8DL6-Ya0[/video]

There's a company local to me (and Lewis) that is making weights that bolt onto rubber belts. I got to check them out at a recent dive show. They're not cheap (but then again lead generally isn't) but they work really well.

Evil Diver

I saw their stuff at Sea Rovers as well. While it looked like some good gear, the prices were a little high for my wallet.

I just received my Mako belt this week and couldn't be happier :) I have no hips to speak of, so it'll be really nice for the extra grippy nature of rubber.

Last edited:
I just received my Mako bet this week and couldn't be happier :) I have no hips to speak of, so it'll be really nice for the extra grippy nature of rubber.

I'd like to look at it at the upcoming GLWC Meet & Greet if you wouldn't mind. I'm thinking of picking one up for the times I dive with a weight belt.

The problem with a friction buckle is that you have to be very sure it's closed, and anything that catches the edge of the buckle can release it. The standard, prong buckle requires that you grasp the end of the belt and pull in order to free it -- it's not something that's ever going to happen by accident.

I'm REALLY happy with my rubber belt. I've had it over a year now, I think, and there are no signs of cracking or fatiguing in the rubber. It's comfortable, doesn't slip, can't fall off and can be released. I have 20 lbs on mine.

Hi TS&M:

Do you wear the belt low on your hips, as the free divers prefer or on your waist, as most scuba divers do? I'm entertaining the idea of switching back to a weight belt as opposed to integrated weights.

Thanks,
O.

I'll chime in.

I wear my belt low, below the Iliac crest.

I have 4 belts, each with different weights. This way I have one lead brick on each side. I position those to the front.

Cheers,
Mitch

You can wear a rubber belt low across your butt, or much higher in the "Normal" waist location (or anywhere in between). If you are diving for a long time, sometimes it is more comfortable to be able to move it from one location to another to relieve stress on the low back. The nice thing about a rubber belt is that you have the option of wearing it where you like, with a nylon belt your options are much more limited because it will just slide off. This flexibility is one reason why they are more comfortable than a typical belt...even one of those soft lead shot belts that slide around and even rotate during a dive.

In regards to Mako weight belts.....Buy two, they're cheap.
It's nice to be able to set them up with different weights, to accomodate different exposure suits.

Cheers,
Mitchweight belts.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom