Rubicon's Top Ten of 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene_Hobbs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have had a few requests to follow-up my post summing up the most popular downloads from the Rubicon Research Repository (RRR) of 2008 with a 2009 list (2008 list here).

I also thought I would take this opportunity to let you all know what we have been up to this year. While the volume of the collection has not appeared to increase much this year, we have had a couple of projects that have been taking some time to prepare for entry.

The largest collection growth in the next few months will be the Naval Submarine Medical Research Lab (NSMRL) technical reports. This collection is being expanded as a result of funding from the US Navy Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA). The first thing we have had to do is sort out the non-classified and "contractor only" documents. That should be complete soon and the addition of those papers should go quickly after that.

The most exciting work we have been involved with is the transfer of Dr. Lambertsen's extensive collection of books, technical reports, and research data to the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society collection holdings at Duke University. As you can imagine, this is a huge collection that must be first sorted to remove duplication that has occurred over amazing career. I expect this will take a few more months and we will know what is available for addition to the RRR shortly after the initial sort.

I apologize for taking so long to get to this but here it is:

10. Weathersby PK, Gerth WA (eds). Survival Analysis & Maximum Likelihood Techniques as Applied to Physiological Model. 51st Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Workshop. UHMS Publication Number WD650. Kensington: Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society; 2002; 176 pages. RRR ID: 8027

9. Vann RD. Lambertsen and O2: beginnings of operational physiology. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2004 Spring;31(1):21-31. RRR ID: 3987

8. Millar, IL; Mouldey, PG. Compressed breathing air – the potential for evil from within. Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine. 2008; 38: 145-51. RRR ID: 7964

7. Acott CJ. 1999. Oxygen toxicity: A brief history of oxygen in diving. South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society Journal 29(3) RRR ID: 6014
** We believe this may be due in part to the listing of Wikipedia's oxygen toxicity article as a "featured article" and the placement on the Wikipedia home page that occurred on August 31, 2009

6. Lindholm, P; Wylegala, J; Pendergast, DR; Lundgren, CEG. Resistive respiratory muscle training improves and maintains endurance swimming performance in divers. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2007 May-Jun;34(3):169-80. RRR ID: 7342

5. Boycott AE, Damant GCC, Haldane JS. The prevention of compressed air illness. J Hyg. 1908;8:342-43. RRR ID: 7489 NOTE: Permission was granted to The Rubicon Foundation, Inc and this paper should NOT be added to your own web site. Violation of this "trust" will make it harder for us to deal with this and other publishers going forward.

4. Richardson, D; Menduno, M; Shreeves, K. (eds.) 1996. Proceedings of Rebreather Forum 2.0. Diving Science and Technology, Santa Ana, CA. RRR ID: 7555

3. Nuckols ML, Giblo J, Wood-Putnam JL. Thermal Characteristics of Diving Garments When Using Argon as a Suit Inflation Gas. Proceedings of the Oceans 08 MTS/IEEE Quebec, Canada Meeting September 15-18, 2008. RRR ID: 7962

2. NSMRL 1966. Submarine Casualties Booklet. Naval Submarine Medical Research Lab RRR ID: 8200
**Thanks must be given to Diana Temple for her time on finding this document and preserving it for us.

and THE most downloaded publication of 2009 is:

1. Huggins KE. 1992. Dynamics of decompression workshop. University of Michigan. RRR ID: 8078

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom