Rules about touching the marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kabluton:
I know that it is a good overall rule of thumb not to touch the marine life (corals, fish, etc) for various reasons (damage, venomous stings, etc). I have been with some dive operations that tell you not to touch and then the divemasters actually touch certain things themselves. Isn't that hypocritical?

I love and respect the reefs and try never, ever to damage anything (especially the corals) but is there ever a time when touching the animals is okay? opinions on this.

Only if they initiate the contact.

http://www.keynoter.com/articles/2005/06/10/news/news01.txt

About the only creatures that DM's have either handled or handed to me were small sea urchins, and brittle stars. Other than that, on one dive, we were teasing a lobster, but it was the day before mini-season. We figured that we would get him "primed" for the fight!

It does seem that the smaller fish have more guts than the larger fish, I would love to encounter some damselfish, sounds like fun times!

kabluton:
I know that it is a good overall rule of thumb not to touch the marine life (corals, fish, etc) for various reasons (damage, venomous stings, etc). I have been with some dive operations that tell you not to touch and then the divemasters actually touch certain things themselves. Isn't that hypocritical?

I love and respect the reefs and try never, ever to damage anything (especially the corals) but is there ever a time when touching the animals is okay? For instance, I love to watch pufferfish blow up and on night dives someone usually finds an octopus and passes it around. Just like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks.

I think no one should touch the marine life. You are in their environment, so you should respect them. How would anyone like it if someone came into your home, and started touching or playing with you? Plus, any interaction can harm these creatures, and I know I dive to see these beautiful creatures and not to hurt or destroy them.

To some folks the sea is an alien environment... so I can understand why they would feel the need to act like a good visitor.

When I am in the water I am home. I'm part of the natural state of things.

You can take pictures but please don't wake me up.
Ron-0649.jpg

I think I see a bubble at the top of your hood. Surely that couldn't have been from you? I heard camels don't need to breathe while underwater.

I don't think anything should be touched underwater unless it's an obviously no-harm situation, but I think that's pretty rare.

We were in Playa del Carmen this week and went on a turtle dive and were told that it was OK to touch the turtles on their shells but not to grab them by the shells because it would startle them. I was able to drift directly over two or three and lightly touched the top of the carapace. I would be extremely surprised if they turtles even knew they were being touched. None of the ones I saw touched showed any awareness of being touched and a few only casually looked up at us as we drifted by.

But I am careful about touching anything else for any reason and don't think much stuff should be touched.

JoeFL:
Damselfish are irresistable. Most aggressive little fish I've ever seen... and the only fish that's ever bitten me on a dive (I was begging for it though). I'm glad they don't get bigger. LOL
On my last dive, I had one bite me repeatedly in the face! :11: I was just minding my own bidness when *wham*! *whamwhamwham*!

I am really glad they're not any bigger and/or toothier.

Cleaner shrimp will usually do it!

SueMermaid:
Cleaner shrimp will usually do it!
In the IMAX movie, Coral Reef Adventure, one of the divers has some cleaner shrimp climb on her lips and clean her teeth... its a riot. BUT they do touch an awful lot of coral and sponges in that movie, which I totally avoid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom