Rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the question is answered now, you can close it.

These things are funny to look back and read, but I don't really think they're an issue in today's diving world.

I would say they are still an issue.

Rule #1 and Rule #2 still apply, there's still unsafe ego-driven tech divers out there.

Rule #3 is frankly awesome and imo should really be rule #1. I'd like to never, ever break this one.

Rule #4 certainly still applies.

Rule #5 is only going to result in a huge flamewar with RB divers and is the only one that is going to really generate more heat than light.

Option #1 is also very good.

I'm with you, Lamont.

I recently broke Rule 4.

We have a current thread about Rule 2.

Rule 1 will never stop being an issue as long as there are human beings, in all their variations, doing scuba diving.

Well, so far the thread hasn't gone completely off the rails, yet, and I'm going to need to go to sleep soon...

Just keep in mind:

- strokes refers to "ego stroking" divers. its the intro cave diver boasting about they've been violating their training with their full cave buddies, or the full cave diver boasting about how they can get away with violating thirds. it doesn't mean a newly certified OW diver diving with a snorkel. it doesn't mean everyone who isn't DIR/GUE/UTD-certified.

- there has to be a more productive argument on RBW for the rebreather divers -- even posting in the recreational rebreather thread over there would be better than gunning for a fight over rule #5.

Once while out on a boat some guy who was wearing black (he said he was DIR) called me a stroke. It made me sad. I hate DIR divers.

Perhaps they should actually read GI3's definition of a stroke before branding everyone that isnt them with the label.

I recently broke Rule 4.

I recently missed a dive because, while in a rush, I forgot to follow rule #4 and decided it was safer/better to just hold my ground and not dive (despite 98% certainty of the gas in the tanks). It was the hardest decision to make ( not to go, that is) and hearing how awesome the dive was afterwards certainly made it even harder. However, I received some really sage advice from my fundies instructor: the way to get in a lot of diving is to live a long time.

The rules dont seem too bad, but I really love option 1.

Looks like the question is answered now, you can close it.

These things are funny to look back and read, but I don't really think they're an issue in today's diving world.

Sure they're an issue today ... and not just one that DIR divers have to consider. A quick read through some of the recent threads in the "Close Calls" part of the Incidents and Accidents forum would give some examples of why.

I like the explanations in the link riguerin posted ... I think most of that stuff would be applicable even to my NAUI OW and AOW students ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sure they're an issue today ... and not just one that DIR divers have to consider. A quick read through some of the recent threads in the "Close Calls" part of the Incidents and Accidents forum would give some examples of why.

I like the explanations in the link riguerin posted ... I think most of that stuff would be applicable even to my NAUI OW and AOW students ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I meant they're not an issue because people are more politically correct these days.

I just say I'm busy, or when I was in school said I was studying for a test. It was a bit awkward when one of the individuals I told I was busy showed up at a dive site lol

Rule 6 was an AG thing so I think it only applies to West Coast DIR.
Wow, something Ag is credited with that isn't a direct financial benefit. :shocked2:

Thank you to everyone who helped answer the question. I am more familiar with said rules than I thought, but did not know the numbers of which to associate them.

I have heard of a rule number 9 referred to, but never defined. Any thoughts?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom