Run out and buy a Cobra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I've been wrestling with console vs wrist for several weeks now and think I will buy a console for my first one. I didn't want to spend toooooooo much money on the first computer as I am sure I will find some reason why I need another one two years from now no matter what I buy.

I think I'll hold off for now - maybe there will be a winter sale or something.

I would also recommend holding off on the computer for right now. It sounds like you need to get more of your essential gear first. If your plan is to get more dives under your belt that will most likely happen if you get regs and bcds first as you won't have to rent them. It is possible to dive without a computer, but regs and bcds you need. Just food for thought...

I was pawing around the LDS, and noticed that the sign said that the rebate only applied to people who were TRADING UP on the computers, not to first time buyers. Not sure if was just that shop or if that the policy, but thought I would mention it as something to research especially since the reason you seemed to be considering it is because of the $200.00 rebate.

Ernest

Most shops that I've talked to have figured out a way to give that to new buyers. I'm not sure if its in the fine print for the rebate or if they have gotten more creative.

I've been looking at Suuntos again b/c of this rebate thing. I've had a Mosquito for quite a while & am happy with it. (Not trading in the Mozzy, looking for a second computer.) Note the fine print on the rebate: applies to the Cobra, Cobra II and the Vytec WITH transmitter. So the only wristmount retails for more than $1100 after rebate.

Suunto is fairly easy to use. The software is very conservative but some of us CHOSE it for that. Supposely there is a way to do a "personal adjustment" on the conservatism. If I were a newbie I'd buy my regs first and buy a computer second to help maximize bottom time. My $.02.

Even at its most liberal setting, the RGBM Suunto uses is more conservative than most. There is a way to dial it in to the exact conservancy you wish, but it's not in the manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom