Running low on air quickly - need help and guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theres lots of really good advice above. But frankly with the number of dives you have done OP my advise at the moment is RELAX.
I'm reluctant to say forget the advice given because it is all pretty darn good Bbut frankly I feel you will give yourself the very best improvement by just chilling out slowing down and forget everything for awhile.I honestly feel that at your stage you almost need to be half asleep.

BUT --all that said. Just how "bad" is it? What sized tank are you using and how long are you underwater for?
it has occurred to me that your freinds might be super easy on gas.
If you get about 45 minute dives then Ii would say you don't have a lot to worry about

As a new diver I found my biggest improvement in the amount of air I used was when I stopped thinking about buoyancy and breathing and let it just happen how it happened.

This occurred on a trip I made to a placed called Tulamben in Bali. I went for a dive with this photographer who basically found something interesting and just hung there for ages. I loved it just sitting there watching all the critters come out of hiding. Next thing I know my computer went off telling me to start to surface. Went from 30 - 40 minutes on a 80 liter tank to well over 60 minutes and still have a 1/3 of a tank left. Have even got a 90 minute dive out of it when in shallower water 15 meters or so.

I guess all I can add is it will happen after a while so don't worry about it or get bigger tanks and stop fighting it.

First I would like to say that I agree with all of the posts... Relax, slow down, drop weight, do cardio and it will get better... But I would like to go a little further...

try following your buddy instead of leading.. Better view of technique and will slow you down.

Compare your gear... My first reg set was inexpensive... Barowed my sisters brute and got about 10% more the easier it breathes the less work to inhale. then went to split fins... Less resistance, less work less air...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom