Rust inside steel tanks failing visual inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My steel tanks fail vis inspection just about every time and need to be tumbled due to rust, at $45 a pop. How and why is this happening and what can I do to prevent it. I never bleed the air completely out, leaving a couple hundred pounds at least until I get to the dive shop where they bleed them down prior to refilling. This isn't just annoying, it's expensive.

I would suggest you are getting "bad" air. If you always fill at the same station, have a chat; ask what filters they have and how often they are changed. In the future, read the gas analysis that should be displayed on the shop wall someplace. YOU ARE GETTING WET AIR!

The only time I have had a similar problem, I lent tanks to a student who got them filled at a firehouse... cost me new cylinders.

Have you ever actually seen the rust yourself?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I know mine is caused by fills on dive boats. Never a lot of rust but some every viz- On multidive days and multiday trips it is almost impossible to get all the water out of the valve before they do the fill, and I am sure the filters are not catching everything.

There are 2 possible reasons....bad (moist) air or a dives shop that has questionable ethics and/or tech. In either case a new dive shop is in order. If a new LDS is not an option, be there when the tank is opened....or open it yourself before you go to the shop. A light is all you need to check for rust....and a small amount of flash rust is not a problem.

I know mine is caused by fills on dive boats. Never a lot of rust but some every viz- On multidive days and multiday trips it is almost impossible to get all the water out of the valve before they do the fill, and I am sure the filters are not catching everything.

+ 1, what he said :)

Dive shop told me even a couple hundred pounds in a tank could be at lower pressure than the air that is in the hoses which could have moisture in it from the reg. Huh? My brain hurt after that explanation!

I'm droppping off some other tanks today, so I'll take a look at the rusty tank then. I only have a handful of fills left on my fill card. Then I'll find another shop. A new one just opened closer to home anyway.

Dive shop told me even a couple hundred pounds in a tank could be at lower pressure than the air that is in the hoses which could have moisture in it from the reg. Huh? My brain hurt after that explanation! .

your shop is full of ****. are they the only one filling your tank?

The only time I have had a similar problem, I lent tanks to a student who got them filled at a firehouse... cost me new cylinders.

That is why I never put vis stickers on my own tanks. If I loan them out only I get to fill them :wink:

Dive shop told me even a couple hundred pounds in a tank could be at lower pressure than the air that is in the hoses which could have moisture in it from the reg. Huh? My brain hurt after that explanation!

I'm droppping off some other tanks today, so I'll take a look at the rusty tank then. I only have a handful of fills left on my fill card. Then I'll find another shop. A new one just opened closer to home anyway.

Another example of a shop that needs to be outed and named so that they don't get the chance to screw over more people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom