Rusty buttons inside housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esox69LB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Santa brought me a new DC500 last year and I christened her in Roatan. Was quite happy with the photos when I was not having fogging problems in the housing. I took
every effort to prevent fog.. Only opened case inside A/C room, held camera in front of
A/C to dehumidify while closing and used mask cleaner. I always leave case open when
storing. When I got home the springs under the buttons were rusted. The center three
with the rubber caps actually stuck in when pressed. The diveshop owner I bought it thru was with me on the trip and gave all the helpful advice and saw the trouble. When we returned and he saw the rust Sealife gave me a new housing. I have used the camera thru the summer in fresh water with no problems but am returning to the sea next month. Great service on a new housing from dealer and Sealife but now it is a year later.
I use Remoil on all my firearms. This is an oil with Teflon. It actually seems to dry on
surfaces leaving a protective coating. On the bottle it is billed as an anti corrosive.
Would it be prudent to put a small amount under all the buttons prior to taking into a salty humid climate? I suppose the only concern is if it would have any adverse effect on the rubber seals. I am also going to question Remington on this matter.

Also, when rinsing operate the buttons to expunge salt water.

Mike

I Did Not Even Go Into How I Kept The Camera In The Fresh Water On The Diveboat And Worked All The Buttons In The Tank As Well As Under The Faucet In My Room. I Am A Real Freak When It Comes To Taking Care Of Things. But Also Expect Perfection In Return For My Effort. The Rust Was
Inside The Housing. The Climate Is All I Could Not Avoid, Even In The A/c Room.

Sounds more to me like you had defective springs. The shouldn't be rusting out at the rate you've decribed.

I just looked at a link to an interesting rebuild. Silicone Grease is used on the actual O Rings. I believe Sealife has a rubber boot that fits between all buttons and the outside world. I had no salt crystals on the outside.

I use silicon spray. Comes in a can. The fine mist gets into all those bits :)

MissD, where do you get the Silicon spray? My Oly housing says to only use "X" silicon, but you know it does not seem any different then the silicon I used with my film Sea and Sea.

Hey girls, I am a tech myself. The Remoil as well as silicone can be found at any Walmart, sporting goods section. The silicone spray will "repel" water. The Remoil does this as well as lubricate and prevent corrosion. I don't think it will interact with the silicone grease around Orings. I will test this today. I currently have two Orings measured with one then placed in a bottle of Remoil. I will leave and check over time for swelling or if the rubber is being attacked. I also emailed Dupont Chemical. They make the formula for Remoil and would be a good soource of offical info.

Esox69LB:
Hey girls, I am a tech myself. The Remoil as well as silicone can be found at any Walmart, sporting goods section. The silicone spray will "repel" water. The Remoil does this as well as lubricate and prevent corrosion. I don't think it will interact with the silicone grease around Orings. I will test this today. I currently have two Orings measured with one then placed in a bottle of Remoil. I will leave and check over time for swelling or if the rubber is being attacked. I also emailed Dupont Chemical. They make the formula for Remoil and would be a good soource of offical info.

Linda, as she said. You can also get it at any marine store. Big can $7.99 :wink: . I have used it for years on all moving parts that touch the water. This includes fin clips, parts on my bcd, etc. Prevents dryness and cracking over time - keeps parts lubed.

Thanks MissD and thank you Esox I will be looking forward to your test results!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom