Rusty buttons inside housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin:
Thanks MissD and thank you Esox I will be looking forward to your test results!

Oh yeah, the test results.. I'm looking forward to those as well. We have a scientific experiment going on here. Should we move the thread :winky: Seriously, I am looking forward to the outcome. :D

Just as expected, oil and grease melt together and eventually the oil will replace it, hence any oil around silicone greased Orings is probably not advised in my opinion.
The question remains if the DC500 housing has a rubber boot that acts as a membrane
around the entire assembly, which eliminates Orings and associated lube and if the membrane would be "attacked" by the oil. The safer bet at this point is Silicone Spray.
Is there a spray specific for salt water applications? Miss D is correct so far.

Esox69LB:
Just as expected, oil and grease melt together and eventually the oil will replace it, hence any oil around silicone greased Orings is probably not advised in my opinion.
The question remains if the DC500 housing has a rubber boot that acts as a membrane
around the entire assembly, which eliminates Orings and associated lube and if the membrane would be "attacked" by the oil. The safer bet at this point is Silicone Spray.
Is there a spray specific for salt water applications? Miss D is correct so far.

Well it is Marine Silicon Spray, if that means anything. I know I like it on my moving parts, as well. As I said, it keeps them from drying out. That lil sand nugget or piece of salt won't stick, say your inflator button on your bcd, as it would if they area was totally dry. Also I have had my fins for about six years now. I keep that stuff on there and they have never gotten that dry texture I see with other people's straps.

Anyway, I have gone with the can spray - it is way cheaper than the stuff they try and sell you in some dive shops.

Back
Top Bottom