S38 LX and Elite 2 harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, didn't get a STA until a month or so after it was set up. However, I don't recall the tech using Hollis instructors, he set it up by memory/knowledge, and a tad help from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqyxdmpN4k for one part that he noticed wasn't threaded quite right.

It would be interesting to see how the waist band was routed (if you could take a look.) I suspect the person who set it up for you did it in reverse of the Hollis directions (meaning the grommet/waist band is routed in the inside of the plate towards your back instead of how it's done in the video (which is identical to how Hollis recommends that you install it.)

For what it's worth, how do you like the setup? I haven't had a chance to dive with it? (Only just purchased it this week.)

I got about 10-15 dives on it before I tried sidemount, and haven't dove it since. It was my first bp/w, so I have nothing else to compare it to in that category. Obviously, it dived way better than a normal back inflation. I wanted something simple, but not too simple like a Hogarthian harness. For me, it had a great fit and was very comfortable to dive.

It's actually on display at my LDS right now, since I haven't been diving it and practically new. I'll grab some photos when I'm in working later this week.

Hope that helps.

Please let us know if you do hear back from Hollis. (FWIW, I emailed them a couple weeks ago about another issue, but never did receive a response. I had to end up calling them directly to get an answer.)

Only crickets from Hollis so far. I guess I have to follow up more aggressively. But the different way of threading seems to work. 16 dives without issues with the cam bands or the waist strap so far. But I had a shoulder strap coming undone at depth once. I'm still figuring out if it was a problem with how the dive shop put the D-rings on, or if it's with the Hollis instructions. I did it a bit differently afterwards, and it seems to be holding up fine now.

Only crickets from Hollis so far. I guess I have to follow up more aggressively. But the different way of threading seems to work. 16 dives without issues with the cam bands or the waist strap so far. But I had a shoulder strap coming undone at depth once. I'm still figuring out if it was a problem with how the dive shop put the D-rings on, or if it's with the Hollis instructions. I did it a bit differently afterwards, and it seems to be holding up fine now.

I would suggest calling (as I never did get a response to my email even after all these weeks.)

How did you re-route the shoulder strap? I almost followed how the Dive Rite strap was done in their video since it looks like it would be easier to adjust afterwards, but instead I just followed the Hollis instructions (with the exception of the waist strap where I did it in reverse of how the instructions say to do it.) Seems like it should hold, but I'd be curious to hear how it came undone.

Thanks!

Could you Web the harness and can band in the same slot I was actually thinking bout getting this setup but seems like it needs an sta

I'm getting into this discussion a little late, so bear with me.
I just purchased the same set up, and while following the directions, noticed the same issue. I did a Google search, and while going blind on videos, noticed one set up where the waist belt was threaded through the two slots just above the bottom of the back-plate. It was not Hollis by the way, but a good look showed it would work, so this is what I did:
I cut out the grommet on the waist belt, and melted the ends. Then I threaded the belt through the two slots (just above the last mounting hole on the bottom). I started from the back, went through the farthest slot (nearest center line), then back through the outside slot. I left about 6" of webbing, then threaded on one of Hollis's metal slot buckles. I then tightened that up, and worked the waist belt webbing back through the slots so the buckle prevented the waist belt webbing from pulling through.
I then attached the hardware to the waist belt webbing.
Not knowing if this would hold, I put the plate on the ground, stood on it, and pulled (I'm 6'2", 205), and it didn't budge.
I figured this would be worth a shot, and at worst I would be out a waist belt.
Hope this helps

With all these trouble, my suggestion is to buy 15 ft of webbing ($15), setup a basic harness and give it a try. You may like it better.

Best suggestion is eelnoraa's buy the 15' of webbing and use a basic harness.

Alternatively, start from scratch with the waist strap. Feed the ends from the front side to the back side through the lower cam band slots, with the grommet now between the lower cam band slots on the front of the plate. The ends of the waist strap now stick out the back. Then feed the ends of the waist strap through the proper side slots as directions say to do. Pull the grommet part of the waist strap away from the back plate to give you some working slack. Thread the lower cam band through the lower cam band slots from the BACK. Lower Cam band slots will have both waist strap and camband threaded through them.

This may line up for you depending on your plate. If this works you may want to remove the grommet. I would inspect the waist strap at intervals and make sure the alternative threading isn't chewing through the strap.

sorry to bump an old thread. but I'm having the exact same issue. the waist strap was threaded by my dive store as hollis and the simply scuba video shows. but that doesn't allow for the weight pockets or the cam band..
should i just reverse the direction so the middle of the strap is in front of the plate with the grommet in front?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom