S95 vs. G12? Ikelite vs. Fisheye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an S95 so can't comment on the G series cameras, but I have owned an Ikelite for a year with about 40 dives. I recently purchased a Recsea and love it. I highly recommend just going for the better housing right off the bat. Just my 2¢

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I just looked at Digital Photography Review for the S100. You can check out their preview. The camera's lens has a zoom with a bigger variation both wider and longer with the same F2 Fstop (at wide). So that is an improvement. They have improved the image processing of the camera so it does its image crunching faster with more control. That aspect is not too important when you shoot RAW (no manipulation just raw data). They also have an improved sensor which seems to allow better high ISO performance and is 12 megapixel instead of 10. I would think the next camera on the G series would have similar features. Last time the S95 and the G12 had the same sensor. The G12 was bigger and more expensive but had more features.

I think either the S95 or the G12 would work well for you. The G series is supposed to be better for macro. As I said, for macro work, having the ability to add in the Inon wet lens is nice because it gives you a longer working range for macro. You can go to a store and fool around with the demo camera on macro to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Hey Pat,

Thanks for the advice. While the wider and longer lens is an improvement on land, it may not be for underwater, if the lens travel is longer, requiring a longer port on the housing. Nemrod says the lens travel is longer, can anyone else confirm?

I had a G11 in a Patima aluminium housing and just bought a G12 to use in the same housing.
The decision for the G11/12 was the bigger size as i get cramps in my hands using the S90/S90/S100 on land.
The most important difference between the S and G series is that the G series has a hotshoe for a strobe, providing
full TTL or Nikonos strobe triggering with a housing equipped with a electrical bulkhead.
If this matters for you is your decision, some like the less complicated optical triggering,
some (especially persons who are used to shoot manually) like electrical triggering.
Another "important" difference is that the S100 has Full HD 1920x1080 Video and can zoom while recording,
but the videos made under water with such a small camera usually are very shaky

Yes the wider lens is a improvement on land but if the lens extends longer it reduces the wider angle due to vignetting.
Patima solved this problem on my housing as i got 2 ports, one short (but still flat) WA-port and a longer zoom port, but it's vignetting
on WA.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom