Saba or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Yakivet did an awesome job providing a summary of both Destinations. I have been to both places and would return to either in a heartbeat.

Bonaire comes out ahead as a divers destination. No issues with currents, rare hurricanes, although expensive to fly to, $ are saved by the abundance of shore diving sites. The ultimate in diving convenience. Lodging options cover a wide range from bucolic to luxurious. Topside it is arid, lacking the lush feel of other Caribbean destinations. There is a lot of discussion about crime on the island. We were careful and followed the precautions and had no issues. It was an easy island to drive and navigate. Although groceries are more expensive than what I am accustomed to, it was not cost prohibitive. The selection and variety of items was impressive.

Saba is a special place. Lush, rugged and incredibly charming. It is so different and surreal from any other place that I have visited. I did not see any slums or impoverished areas. I was an awe over the charming cottages and gardens. The people were always friendly and helpful. For such a small island, the selection and quality of the restaurants is nothing short of amazing. As mentioned in previous replies, the issue of crime is practically non-existent. We always slept with our windows open. It is a wonderful place to hike and wonder around. We did not rent a car, which I did not regret. We took a cab to and from the airport, plus the dive shop provided a shuttle each day to the marina. I remember while I was unpacking I was wondering WTH I would do spending an entire week on this tiny island. I was never bored or antsy to leave. Afternoon strolls and reading a book while on the cottage deck(occasionally with a mojito) kept me a happy camper. Coral was healthy and I felt the marine life was somewhat larger but not as abundant as Bonaire. We did not do the pinnacle dives. At the time of our trip, I had only 15 logged dives. One boat headed out to the pinnacles, the other involved a first dive of about 60-80 feet and a second of 50-60 feet. No issues with currents, however the ocean was much rougher than Bonaire or Curacao. While not a big deal to many people, I have a difficult time in many Caribbean destinations encountering all the poor stray and malnourished dogs. Not an issue in Saba. We did not have any issues flying Winair from St. Maarten to Saba. Although I have read of many delays, cancellations etc. The flight into and out of the island are quite the experience. Intense, but also a great deal of fun. I think my husband hit the nail on the head when he said that if Saba had Beaches, we couldn't afford it.

Now that I have made the decision as clear as mud, here are some pics from Saba
IMG_0758.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg

Last edited:
The OP should go to Bonaire.

The original post says that you only have about 30 dives.
Saba is a more advanced dive location - especially out on the pinnacles.

I waited till my daughter has at least 100 dives before we went to Saba for 10 or so days.

Just my opinion but something you should consider.

.....x2

Firstly congrats on 10 years! :)

Secondly: While I have never been to Bonaire, I am currently living on Saba and the diving is amazing. I don't think you need to be an expert, I had around 35 dives when I got here and Sea Saba will happily work with you. Its a one of a kind place :) I have done most of the sites and dont think any of them are that difficult, especially with a good dive op. However if you want beaches, its not the place to visit because they are pretty much non-existant!

If you have any questions about Saba i'd be happy to try and answer them.

Bonaire is also on my list of places to go and i'm sure its fantastic also. I'm sure you'll have a great vacation wherever you go!

Have been to Bonaire once and Saba once.

Did more dives on Bonaire but don't remember which one was which. Diamond Rock and Eye of the Needle on Saba are stunning.

Topside Bonaire is like a flat version of West Texas. Saba more like Jurassic Park.

I preferred Saba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom