Saban Christmas 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparkinator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Its seemed like forever but our trip to Saba is nearly upon us and we couldn't be more excited. My wife and I will be arriving on 12/23 and leaving 12/28. I've read many reviews and other than the airline used to get to the island (Winair), there has been nothing but glowing reviews. The island, hiking, diving, Sea Saba and the like sound world class. I have to say that I emailed Winair with some concerns and so far have had nothing but outstanding customer service. I would like to think that they have wizened up in part because of the many negative posts place here on scubaboard. I will be sure to give a full report of all our experiences from start to finish once back and settled here in the states. If anyone else is diving during this time, drop a post. By the way my Raider III arrived and though I haven't dived with it yet it is VERY bright.

Cheers,
Sparky

take the dawn II over to saba from st. maarten. it leaves from the dock maarten pier close to the chesterfields restaurant. have a beer with capt'n craig and with luck you'll be paid a visit by dolphins riding the bow wake. forget winair, nothing but hassle (unless you want to experience the famous saba landing)

have a good trip. if you need any info let me know.

tadzio,

Thanks for the note but we've already purchased our tickets and I think we are buttoned up as best we can be. I've been in contact with the VP of Customer services and have an E-ticket as well as our email exchange. If an issue arises, I have his number and extension as well. I think I've done everything I can to ensure a smooth trip so we'll just have to leave the rest to God.

Sparky

Hi Sparky,

I am sure it will be ok. Enjoy the beautifull island topside and down below and good luck with the landing (it's not that bad). Happy Hollidays to you and yours.

Tadzio

Tadzio,

Thanks... We're leaving for St. Louis this morning and will be flying out early tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to leave a detailed post here when we return. I know I have learned a lot from the posts' of other divers so now it is my turn.

Merry Christmas!!!

Sparky

When we went to Saba last Spring we used Winair and never had a problem. My advise to you is that when you board the plane and are looking forward towards the captain's seat, sit on the right side. The views and landing are very memorable. My favorite dive master was Troy. Be sure to have at least one meal at Brigadoon's(great cosmo's too!) and The Rainforest Cafe. Be sure to call the airport to check for delays in St. Louis because there is rumor of sleet and ice tomorrow. Last but not least, I would love to read a trip reort.

2394175486_b06679deb9.jpg

2394178394_9658fdafaf.jpg

I can't tell you how jealous I am of you!! I HATE small planes but loved the ride to Saba on Winair. We had no troubles, even with traveling with 7 people and 3 full sets of dive and photography gear. Eat at the Swinging Door. Great barbeque--- which says a lot, coming from an Oklahoman, where great barbeque is everywhere. Diamond Rock was probably my all time favorite dive.

Well we are back and I finally have a chance to follow up on all the posts and give a trip report. Warning this may be lengthy... First, let me say I appreciate all of the feedback, tips, and advice. So here goes... I would love to say that Winair didn't disappoint but that was not the case. In classic style, we were left high and dry the first day of our trip. This is apparently a common occurrence because after we would begin every conversation with the locals about our delay they would finish our sentence by saying oh Winair... Whether it is true or not I'm not certain but I was told that the company is government owned and is the only airline allowed to fly to Saba and that is why their employees have no incentive to exceed their customers expectations. What happened you asked? Well, it took FOREVER to get through customs and we arrived at the Winair counter 25 minutes before the flight was to depart and they would not let us check in. Now, I understand they say they can give your seat away if you check in less than 30 minutes prior to departure but here's the thing, we spoke to a person the next day that was on that flight and he told us that the flight didn't leave on time and still had available seats??? All I can say is that there are things I would do different to make things go smoother and one is to make sure I choose an airline that has an agreement with Winair and will check our bags through to Saba. I'll explain more in a follow up post if I get questions. O.K. on to more positive things... After contacting Sea Saba and letting them know our predicament they were able to secure us a place on the next flight out in the morning (The attendant that wouldn't check us in told us it was full???). We arrived on Christmas eve morning and luckily didn't miss a day of diving. We got three days of diving (7 dives - they offered a 3rd on the last day) and it was incredible. My wife is a new diver (O.K. how do you add pics?) and I have some experience... We got placed on the "newbie" boat the first two days which I was more than O.K. with because I wanted her to feel extremely comfortable and safe. She took to it like a duck to water and is sold true blue!!! YEAH! The last day she called and asked Lynn at Sea Saba if we could be moved to the more experienced boat and she told her that they had already done so because they thought she was ready (she really did to well and I'm very proud of her). So the last day we got to go to the pinnacles and dove the "Outer Limits" - WoW!!! I rented a camera for three days and got a bunch of great pics - well worth the money $89) Top side was equally as beautiful. We hiked the fourth day since we couldn't dive and actually found a geocache (according to Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site their are two on the island). The food was 5* and I don't think you could find a place that was sub-par. Dining out is a bit expensive though and to do it again we would definitely get a room with a kitchenette and go to the local grocery store. We stayed at the Eco-Lodge and it was perfect for us. It isn't for everyone but we loved it (again more about it if questions are posted). The trip home was smooth despite a small delay in Miami on American Airlines. So we're home and both longing to be back where the days are warm and the ocean waters are crystal clear and teaming with beauty... Someday when the kids are grown we WILL locate there and it WILL be home and here is where we will visit... Well, I guess that's all for this post and I hope you gained something from it. If someone will instruct me how to post pics I would be glad to post some for your viewing pleasure. Again, thanks to all!!! Happy New Year and even happier diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom