sac rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msengberg007

Registered
Reaction score
well i dont know where a better place to put this so I am just putting it here

well whenever my sac rate (the amount of air i consume) is not that good and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to help make my sac rate better

work on your buoyancy and trim first. Remember move in a slow deliberate manner. And relax enjoy the part of the dive you get to see, you can't see the entire ocean in one dive so go slow and enjoy what you can see. You are a new diver it will get better just keep working at it

msengberg007:
well i dont know where a better place to put this so I am just putting it here

well whenever my sac rate (the amount of air i consume) is not that good and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to help make my sac rate better

What is your SAC rate now?

The good thing about your SAC rate is that it will improve the more dives you do without even having to work on it. At 14, I assume you don't have many dives yet so do what GDI says, work on your buoyancy and trim. Your SAC will improve before you know it.

GDI:
work on your buoyancy and trim first. Remember move in a slow deliberate manner. And relax enjoy the part of the dive you get to see, you can't see the entire ocean in one dive so go slow and enjoy what you can see. You are a new diver it will get better just keep working at it

YES. What GDI said.

If you need further explanation, ask, because GDI can help with that too.

I honestly think that today's equipment though intensely improved over the old K valve and double hose arrangements of years passed does have a downside... it gives you your air too easily therefore taking away the exercise the diaphragm once got in the inspiration effort.
Don't take this as a suggestion to go out and buy an old regulator but I have found that my SAC has improved by doing a couple of things.

1. I make sure that I don't take breathing for granted. When I first started diving I was using the diaphragm to pull my air in... I NEVER realized how much that taught me to appreciate my air and though I did have my analog guage to give me the 'report' of how much air remained, I was aware of my breathing and as such knew I should not overexert myself because it is difficult enough breathing with effort than breathing with effort trying to catch your breath. This made me aware of my breathing which to this day I think has been a noted factor in my diving.

2. Another thing I do (mind you, I am 56 years old) is practice holding my breath ON THE SURFACE out of the diving arena. I will lie on my living room floor with my watch and hold my breath for as long as I can. The present record is 3:15 which I know I can beat but I do it to set a goal for a young boy who challenges me to these things - he was a student of mine who does not have the luxury of a caring Father so I've become that hole in his life.
NEVER EVER hold your breath underwater (unless you are sitting still taking a photograph of something in a lake - oceans have waves).

Be aware of your breathing, gain control of your bouyancy (Bouyancy management = less effort = lower air consumption) and slow down and like GDI told you... enjoy the experience... there's just NO WAY you will see the whole thing in one dive so enjoy the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom