Sad news on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinchy, CDNN is held with contempt by most here on SB and if someone new to diving uses it as a reference we are pretty quick at pointing out the low level of journalism by CDNN

cheers

Don't you think calling that journalism is stretching things a bit?

except for the names you would think the two articles were about different events

It is amazing how some so called journalists are able to put a totally differnt slant using the same inital premise

WOW!!! I can't belived that I missed this story...Dan is great guy and its sad that he had to deal with something like this. He is the type of guy anyone would want to have by there side and I know that he did all that he could do to help. I wish him the best of luck in getting past this!

I also know Dan and Jisoo, and I'm absolutely certain that the CDNN story is completely off base. Amazing what some people will write, but I guess as long as there's a market for lies and innuendo in print someone will be happy to provide it.

except for the names you would think the two articles were about different events

It is amazing how some so called journalists are able to put a totally differnt slant using the same inital premise
The CDNN and the Telegraph articles are actually very similar as to what they report happened.

pinchy2:
As both an ex-student, and personal friend of Dan Ross, I am dismayed by the readiness of CDNN to publicise him as an irresponsible lout, with no regard for others, in an article with NO basis in fact, when in reality, this could not be further from the truth. Having been present for the duration of this particularly trying time for Mr Ross, I feel compelled to make it known that depsite reading CDNN's article multiple times in close detail, the only truth I can find is the spelling of his name.
So what in the following timeline (from both the Telegraph and CDNN) is incorrect?

• a Dutch tourist goes to his home after being out drinking
  • she falls ill or unconsious or a drunken stupor
  • Dan Ross and his flatmate monitor her condition, but do not seek medical assistance or take her to the hospital (in hindsight a bad decision, but not something criminal)
  • her condition worsens, he administers aid/CPR to the best of his ability
  • they take her to the hospital
  • he returns home and assists his housekeeping who has started to clean up the mess left by his (apparently) drunk guest

It appears to be an unfortunate incident and perhaps the police overreacted, but it is their function to be suspicious and investigate in cases like this. Their suspicions were probably heightened when they discovered that he had cleaned up the scene, and then they discovered that the only other witness had left the island. They also may have had Natalie Holloway (sp?) and Aruba on their mind.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

I think that sums up this thread perfectly. Neither Mariska nor Dan deserved what happened to them. The best that can be made of this sad story is that lessons are learned.

I missed this one when it happened. About the working illegally bit, nearly all of the foreigners working in Roatan lack work visas. Earlier this year the authorities began raiding the bars and restaurants in an enforcement action.

As for publishing PJ's picture, its relevant to the news.

==========================================================
Petition Descriptions
I am writing this petition on behalf of a Korean citizen, Jisoo Han, my niece, who is falsely accused and indicted of a murder and currently behind the bars. She was arrested by Interpol in a Egyptian airport, and was in jail for more than a week until she was sent to Honduras. This is an instance of severe human rights violations.

Now she is in Honduras, but here too, she was in custody of Preventive Police. On Sep 29, 2009, a Honduran judge dictated arrest warrant to Jisoo, which means that she will be in a jail cell, which is notorious for terrible and inhuman treatment of inmates. This is another instance of violation of fundamental human rights, since she has not yet been proved guilty of the alleged crime.

Last year, when she was in Honduras, she testified for an Englishman, who was accused of murdering a Dutch girl. For some reason, the man was released, and then departed Honduras. And Jisoo stayed a month or so more after the trial, in order to obtain Scuba diving licence, which was the purpose of her visit to Honduras, and then returned to Korea.

But, Last november or december, the parents of the dead Dutch girl accused Jisoo for a complicit of the alleged murder incident to Interpol. This was known to Jisoo, but she on her part did not care about the accusation at all, since she knew that she has nothing to do with the Dutch girl’s death; she was only a testifier of the trial. So Jisoo left for Egypt in order to practice there what she had learned about Scuba diving. Please refer to the attached for detailed contents of the incident.

I am writing this petition to request that our government should take some actions for release of a Korean citizen, who is mentally tortured and is possible to be physically abused in a dreadful and cold Honduran jail cell.

Please, help Jisoo, an innocent 25-year-old girl with her bright and fruitful future ahead, to get out of this miserable situation.
Please, take governmental actions to the effect that the Honduras judicial officers deal with Jisoo’s case fairly and justly with their own conscience and without any external factors.
Please, take actions in persuading the Honduran judge and prosecutor not to put Jisoo in the prison during the trials, but to guarantee a relatively safe and sound place. She is not yet judged as guilty.

Thank you in advance for reading this and taking some measures for my loving niece.

Sung-ho Choi, Jisoo’s uncle
============================================================

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom