Safe to fill tank w/ CO2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a chemistry point of view, CO2 + H2O (you will have vapour) + High pressure (3000 psi) will produce carbonic acid. You could have a corrosion rate in a steel tank of over 22 mm per year. However, you most likely have and aluminum tank and aluminum is relatively safe, but you still wouldn't want that residue. Yikes, please don't do it.

Edit, Doh, how did I miss DiverBouy's comments. Oh, and welcome to the board.

Welcome to the board Ty. I do agree that it is a bad idea to fill the tank with CO2. Here's an idea for you though. My buddies and I went on a long weekend trip up to one of their places in the UP. We had our gear, a keg, tapper system but no CO2 bottle. Well we had scuba tanks and we reasoned that when you use a manual pump, you're just pumping air into the keg anyway. So we hit the hardware store and bought some fittings. I'll see if I can get a pic and parts list uploaded for you. It worked so well that my buddy still uses that system at home too. It costs about 15 bucks to get a CO2 tank filled here. So cheaper fill and more gas.

Remove the valve from the tank, fill the tank with beer, sit back, and enjoy it.

Oh, and never go diving again.

...Aquamaniac has redefined the meaning of S.C.U.B.A.--Self-Contained, Underwater Beer Apparatus.

Ok, I was just asking a damn question because I did not know for sure. There is no need to post rude replys stating that I am a moron. Most of you had very helpful responses and I now know not to consider the idea. However, because of the few that attack me for bringing up a question because I didn't know the answer, I don't think I'm going to return. No this isn't a damned troll.

AzAtty once bubbled...
...Aquamaniac has redefined the meaning of S.C.U.B.A.--Self-Contained, Underwater Beer Apparatus.

Would now be a bad time to bring up the DIR approved backup beer bottle secured with shock cord:confused:

Back
Top Bottom