Safe to fill tank w/ CO2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your best bet is to go to a welding supply place and rent a small tank. If you know anyone who serves fountain soda where they work...Have them ask the owner if you could use a tank and reimburse him for the gas. Some soda accounts get free Co2 and some pay. $12-$18 per 20 lbs tank. They do not own the tanks....the soda supplier does. There is not a difference in the grade of the CO2.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
From a chemistry point of view, CO2 + H2O (you will have vapour) + High pressure (3000 psi) will produce carbonic acid. You could have a corrosion rate in a steel tank of over 22 mm per year. However, you most likely have and aluminum tank and aluminum is relatively safe, but you still wouldn't want that residue. Yikes, please don't do it.

Edit, Doh, how did I miss DiverBouy's comments. Oh, and welcome to the board.

What is this Bunk?

Dodge345 once bubbled...
Ok, I was just asking a damn question because I did not know for sure. There is no need to post rude replys stating that I am a moron. Most of you had very helpful responses and I now know not to consider the idea. However, because of the few that attack me for bringing up a question because I didn't know the answer, I don't think I'm going to return. No this isn't a damned troll.

I wouldn't get so upset over these responses. Most of them are made as a joke. Just take it all with a grain of salt.

use a scuba tank with plain old air to pressureize the keg just turn down the intermediate pressure .there is no need to use CO2.
joens

Jeez, this is a tough room. The poor guy was just asking a serious question, and you guys bit his head off!

Especially UP. You are evil, man!

As a new ScubaBoarder myself, I am truly disappointed. I have some questions I was thinking of asking, but with the terrible way you people treated Ty, I'm really glad I kept my mouth shut.

There is NO WAY I am going to set myself up for public ridicule by asking what everyone thinks about some of my ideas:

1) I've invented a new gas mixture I'm thinking of calling DETOX10, for DEpleTed OXygen, a mixture of 10% O2 and 90% nitrogen, for those deeper dives where high ppO2 could be a concern. If I've done the math right, this should be safe to 130 metres or so. (about 430 feet for the metrically challenged) When I have more experience, DETOX5 will permit even deeper dives.

2) Nuclear powered scooter, so I don't have to charge the battery, ever again! With my new lead lined undergarments, I can throw away my weight belt forever too!

3) But seriously, I'm trying to find a way to set up two first stage regs as an oxy-acetylene cutting torch. Due to some design engineer's very poor planning, I noticed that all the fittings are incompatible, but I think I can get the conversion fittings at Home Depot in the lawn and garden department. I have a Cobra, so I can read the pressure in one cylinder, but I will need another pressure guage. Should I get an SPG or one of those hoseless AI computers? :confused: One thing's for sure, the long hose will come in really handy for this application.

And, if I get even one disparaging remark about these schemes, I have half a mind to pack up my toys and go home! So there!

Ok, so I'm bad too.

gerryw once bubbled...
1) I've invented a new gas mixture I'm thinking of calling DETOX10, for DEpleTed OXygen, a mixture of 10% O2 and 90% nitrogen, for those deeper dives where high ppO2 could be a concern. If I've done the math right, this should be safe to 130 metres or so. (about 430 feet for the metrically challenged) When I have more experience, DETOX5 will permit even deeper dives.

LMAO!!!!

Will this be available in the Etherlink Fill System as well?:D

Dodge345 once bubbled...
Ok, I was just asking a damn question because I did not know for sure. There is no need to post rude replys stating that I am a moron. Most of you had very helpful responses and I now know not to consider the idea. However, because of the few that attack me for bringing up a question because I didn't know the answer, I don't think I'm going to return. No this isn't a damned troll.

First of all, welcome.

Secondly, nobody seriously thinks you're an idiot. It's just not a good idea and everyone was falling over each other to make that very clear to you. If anything people are just trying to be helpful in stopping you from doing something exceedingly unwise. Some people have better communication skills than others, that's all. You'll need to grow a bit of a thick skin about it and listen to the message through the noise but rest assured this is one of the most relaxed and congenial scuba forums on the internet.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom