Safe to go Bali during late or early Dec 2017?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from there. You are probably in more danger driving to the airport in Singapore. Tulamben is closed, so the western road around the island is more crowded, but otherwise you'll probably notice nothing. The newspapers (esp in Australia) are a bit hysterical about the danger.

Leaving safety at the Changi airport out of the discussion , driving on narrow and winding roads in Bali is perhaps one if the most hazardous activities in Bali.

Last edited:
As tursiops has mentioned, Tulamben and Kubu are currently out of reach as they are part of the evacuated areas. Diving still takes place everywhere else on Bali, including Amed. Of course, places like Padang Bai, Gili Biaha, Gili Tepekong, Gili Mimpang, Gili Selang, Nusa Penida/Lembongan including Manta Point & Crystal Bay are still opened to divers. We're still getting mola molas too!
The best for divers planning a holiday to the Tulamben / Kubu area is to stay informed of the evolution of the situation on the ground. A great place to do this is here: http://magma.vsi.esdm.go.id. It's best to not look at over sensationalistic news outlets. So far, no eruption has taken place...

Leaving safety at the Changi airport out of the discussion , driving on narrow and windy roads in Bali is perhaps one if the most hazardous activities in Bali.
Agreed! Riding with someone else driving is a true "trust me" dive....

6 of us will be in Bali on early Dec (2-5). We plan to dive in Nusa Penida area. Keep fingers crossed for no eruption.

As long as you have contingency plans in case the volcano erupts, you should be fine.

By contingency plans, I mean that the most likely thing to happen if anything happens, is flight delays. If it were me, I would go with a full-service airline and make sure you can handle a day or two delay coming over or going back. Unlikely, but possible from this or another volcano, or something else...

Personally I would not plan to travel to Amed. I would plan to dive from Padang Bai or maybe Sanur. Or in the west.

- Bill

We spent two days in the northwest, and 4 at Nusa Penida. If I were doing it again, I'd spend more time in the NW and less at NP.

The danger rating for eruption went from 4 to 3 on October 29 but it can go up again... Also the danger zone declined from 12km to 7.5 km. Maybe Tulamben will open again. Anyway, it's the ring of fire. There is always an earthquake happening or a volcano erupting in Indo... You never know when it will be Balis turn.

Indeed the level has been lowered to 3 and since then we've only experienced few tremors.

Tulamben is now open and working under normal operations as most of the businesses have open as well.

From a safety point of view, Bali is safe to visit and even though Agung volcano would become active again, we're all safe outside Tulamben area.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom