Safety on the Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding boarding elevators on dive boats. The Coast Guard takes special interest in elevators that can carry personnel. It's kind of like a hot tub. You'll never see either one on the Spree.
OK, I have no idea what this "elevator" is on a diveboat, and I've been on lots of dive boats....is there another name for what you are talking about? :)

OK, I have no idea what this "elevator" is on a diveboat, and I've been on lots of dive boats....is there another name for what you are talking about? :)

Lots of boats in the UK actually have an elevator to lift divers fully kitted out of the water and deposit them on deck. Remember Nekton? They had an elevator which I believe acted as part of their dive deck (I was never on the boat). I've seen boats in the North Sea use a inflatable boat with a rescue sled behind it to drag a diver back to the mothership, then a crane lowers a cage into the water for the diver to crawl into and be lifted to the main deck.

If you don't like the word elevator, substitute the word "lift platform".

Reactions: Jax
Lots of boats in the UK actually have an elevator to lift divers fully kitted out of the water and deposit them on deck. Remember Nekton? They had an elevator which I believe acted as part of their dive deck (I was never on the boat). I've seen boats in the North Sea use a inflatable boat with a rescue sled behind it to drag a diver back to the mothership, then a crane lowers a cage into the water for the diver to crawl into and be lifted to the main deck.

If you don't like the word elevator, substitute the word "lift platform".
Thanks. Sounds like a nice luxury item that would also help prevent the exertion that could cause bubbles to cascade....Most of our boats are no where near big enough for this....allthough I do have some friends with a hydraulic dive platform on their Cranke Yaght .... It's great, but on boats like that you have to be afraid of wrecking delicate yacht areas constantly.

I think he is referring to this :

Attachments

• diver-lift-03.jpg
    diver-lift-03.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 197
Not what I envisioned at all......Looks like it would be fine in 3 foot or less waves, but a problem if it gets to 7 to 10 durring a dive....
Personally I am most fond of big downward sloping platforms that gently slope into the water.....Even in huge seas, a fully kitted diver just "bellies" onto the platform when the boat drops from a wave, and then is out of the water...nothing to it....Ladders can be fine up to 6 footers, then they get to be "weopens of mass destruction" to unwary divers :).... Unfortunately, most boats in Florida have ladders.

Of the places I have been, I really appreciate the Captain Johnny Pieno of Outer Banks Diving. He is always attenative to his divers and seeks to make them happy, keep them safe, and make them comfortable. The waters of North Carolina are not for the faint of heart, and I realize the dangers they pose. But, I trust my training, and know to dive within my limits, I carry and have practiced with my pony bottle and other safety equipment. In addition, I also familiarize myself with safety equipment on the boat such as oxygen and first aid kits. I think most importantly, I learned to respect Mother Nature.

Captain J. T.'s boat. I've met him, he has a great reputation. I'd hate to see that thing in 6 foot seas, though. I'll ask him how he likes it so far.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom