Safety Sausage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
when inflated do these safety sausages float upright on the surface? If they are not weighted on the bottom (inflator tube side) what keeps it from floating horizontally in the water?
Thanks for your courtesy in response.

After inflating it (on the surface) I attach to my lower right D ring and push the lower part of it down. This forces it to stay upright and allows me to wave it left and right to attract the boat.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

If you shoot the bag to facilitate either communication with the boat and/or mid-water deco, the line connects your SMB to your spool or reel. Your weight on the spool or reel at depth keeps the SMB upright on the surface.

More info:
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

my goal is to come up close to the boat and mostly I am successful; however, there have been times when I have come up 100 meters from the boat. It is times like these that I wish to inflate the SMB so I have a better chance of being seen by the dive boat. I have one of those flat whistles but it does not seem very loud.
Thanks DZ, hooking it to my lower D Ring sounds good.

Carribeandiver:
Thanks DZ, hooking it to my lower D Ring sounds good.

:confused: :confused: Never attached a surface signal to your BC when it is inflated and at the surface, and you are under water .....

Dave Zimmerly:
After inflating it (on the surface) I attach to my lower right D ring and push the lower part of it down.
Dude, he's referring to a situation where he's surfaced, inflated the SMB, and is now floating on the surface and attaching the boltsnap of the SMB to his harness to keep it (quasi) upright... He's not underwater...

Doc Intrepid:
Dude, he's referring to a situation where he's surfaced, inflated the SMB, and is now floating on the surface and attaching the boltsnap of the SMB to his harness to keep it (quasi) upright... He's not underwater...
Exactly.

Not to mention you can use the safely sausage to hit the other person. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom