Safety Spool Instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Any ideas on where to look (online preferably) for instructions on the use of a Halcyon safety spool for cavern diving?

I'm not sure what you mean by "using a safety spool for caver diving". Are you looking for a cavern diving text?

MikeFerrara:
I'm not sure what you mean by "using a safety spool for caver diving". Are you looking for a cavern diving text?

Not sure if the use of the Halcyon brand spool would be included in the NSS-CDS manual for cavern diving. The instructor suggested that if I want to use it, I should have some practice before going into the course (as opposed to just using a Dive Rite reel/spool). I'd rather learn the Halcyon spool.

In the context of cavern diving the spool itself for the most part would be suited for use as a safety. Most divers prefer to keep them in a pocket as apposed to being clipped to a d-ring. Make sure the double ender is cliped to the spool with the open end facing out if you do clip it to a d-ring. When reeling line in simply clip the double ender to the line and use it like a reel handle to wind the line back on. When letting line out just hold the spool between your fingers (in the hole) and swim letting line out behind you.

That covers the spool and details specific to the use of a safety will be covered by your instructor.

Is that what you were looking for?

Halcyon or 5th-d might have some video of a spool being used to shoot a bag.

The only reason I ask is because it's a basic finger spool.
Mikes discription of use is correct. But I don't see where there would be a differance between the Halcyon and Dive Rite.
The finger spool is usualy used as a gap reel.
I not sure but I think your instuctor may have ment the larger saftey reel from Halcyon, you might want to double check. The larger saftey are differant than the Dive Rite reels. Mainly where the handle and spool lock is located.
Using them would require a little practice because of where the handle is located.
The Halcyon handle is on the side and the Dive Rite is above the spool. You can go to the web sites and see the differance. I've used both types and it's just a matter of technic.
But the finger spool from both Halcyon and Dite Rite are the same.
Fred

Aren't all of the spools pretty much the same? Where are you doing your cavern courses in Orlando Dr. Jay?

Ditto what the other guys said. Spools are for safety like lost line drills , lost buddy drill, etc. I believe that you will still need to get a reel for the cavern course, whehter it be the halcyon one or a dive rite one.

The spool reel is a nice simple back up safety and multi function spool. There are some simple techniques to using it both with the double ended clip and with out ( in case you lose the clip). As simple as it is many like it because it really is hard to foul. I carry it always as a back up redundant safety and sometimes as a extra gap/jump reel. They also are not as exspensive as the other reels.

Mike,
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I looked through the NSS-CDS Workbook for Cavern - Intro - Cave and it really doesn't specify how to use the simpler type of spool. Also looks like the same thing (or pretty close) is made by Dive Rite (fgray1). Found it over here (http://www.diverite.com/products/reels/finger_spool.htm). I didn't realize that until someone mentioned it.

The instructor at Ginnie wanted us to have some practice before coming to the course if we wanted to use the simpler spools. I figured I'd rather use something like this because it's simpler to carry, and it has many uses (like shooting a bag, etc.). In the manual in the "Guidelines" section it has Safety Reel: defined as "Used to locate a permanent line should diver become separated from same, or to search for lost buddy." This is why I'm guessing we were both required to have Safety Reels, but only one of us had to have the Primary Reel. I don't think I'm supposed to concern myself with the use of a Jump/Gap Reel or Spool for the cavern course.

I think the learning curve that the instructor was referring to might have something to do with the process of using the bolt snap to secure the line to the spool, or something similar. I'll be taking it to a familiar dive site to practice this weekend. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing before the course.

This is probably the best thread for my question. What size line should you use for a safety or primary reel? Should it be high visibility color or just white? Finally, why aren't cave lines luminescent (do they exist)? If all lights fail, wouldn't be easier to see a luminescent line in the dark?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom