Safety stop/Deco stop .Whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a new diver but new to scubabaord, does that count? :wink:

As a tender in a hyperbaric chamber, I have heard so many bent divers say ¨I can´t be bent, I did my safety stop!¨ PLEASE remember the other things you can do to help protect yourself, not just your safety stop.

Do an adequate surface interval, maintain your buoyancy, keep an eye on your depth gauge, dive shallower/shorter, stay well-hydrated, don´t try to jam in as many dives as you can (you are on vacation after all!), don´t do strenuous exercise between dives, have a rest after your arrival flight. I know divers on vacation want to dive, dive, dive, and so do I! But do play it safe so as not to add a dive in the hyperbaric chamber to your dive log!

Kwinter is correct on the pressure changes after the safety stop and why divers should not shoot to the surface after the stop. I have a slowly clearing ear. So I have to descent slowly. However, I also noticed my ears do a lot of popping and clearing in the last 15 feet of accent, so I go slowly. On a shallow dive in the Keys I didn't realize how close I was to the surface as I crossed over the top of a reef and then my ears started popping and I realized where I was. While we are all taught this is class, I find my ears give me a great reminder every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom