Safety Stop Thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just got back from a Cozumel dive trip, with the first dives of the day down to 100-110'/30m; a single 5 minute stop at 15'/4.5m from > 60'/18m tends to give me a ripping headache afterward; adding a 3~5 minute stop at 40'/12m, a 3~5 min stop at 20'/6m, and then hanging at 10'/3m for as long as possible (first to the safety stop, last on the boat) alleviated the post dive headache/fatigue on the 100'/30m+ dives. its a super conservative ascent profile, but it works for us.

This is an unusual ascent strategy for a recreational dive. It would be tough to be your buddy unless one shared your philosophy.

just got back from a Cozumel dive trip, with the first dives of the day down to 100-110'/30m; a single 5 minute stop at 15'/4.5m from > 60'/18m tends to give me a ripping headache afterward; adding a 3~5 minute stop at 40'/12m, a 3~5 min stop at 20'/6m, and then hanging at 10'/3m for as long as possible (first to the safety stop, last on the boat) alleviated the post dive headache/fatigue on the 100'/30m+ dives. its a super conservative ascent profile, but it works for us.

This is an unusual ascent strategy for a recreational dive. It would be tough to be your buddy unless one shared your philosophy.

I don't find the philosophy odd at all...nobody is forcing you back onboard, you have gas remaining...why come up?

I don't find the philosophy odd at all...nobody is forcing you back onboard, you have gas remaining...why come up?

My comment was much less aimed at the prolonged stop at 10 feet than at the additional 3-5 minute stops at both 40 and 20 feet.

Personally, I will spend this time on the bottom and execute a reasonably standard 6-7 minute ascent from 100 feet, including the 3 minute SS. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom