Salt - Fresh - Weight conversion??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Duffer

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I have only dove salt water to date. We are going to a pool to test some equipment tomorrow and were wondering about our weights.

I use 18 and she 12 in salt. Any idea what we will need in the pool?

Check THIS THREAD for a thorough discussion of weighting.

Get on a scale with all your gear, including your weight. Take the total weight and divide by 40. The answer is the total weight you'll need to drop when moving from salt to fresh. To move from fresh to salt to multiply by .025 and add the result.

Canuck Divers once bubbled...
My wife and I have only dove salt water to date. We are going to a pool to test some equipment tomorrow and were wondering about our weights.

I use 18 and she 12 in salt. Any idea what we will need in the pool?

In general you can remove about 3% of your total weight in gear including the weightbelt you use in salt water. More often than not that works out to about 2-3kg.

Since you're going to the pool anyway the best advice is to just do a buoyancy check and record it for future reference.

R..

Walter once bubbled...
Get on a scale with all your gear, including your weight. Take the total weight and divide by 40. The answer is the total weight you'll need to drop when moving from salt to fresh. To move from fresh to salt to multiply by .025 and add the result.

Multiplying by 0.025 and dividing by 40 yield identical results. Why bother with 2 rules when one will do.

Just to finish off the thread:

In salt - Me - 18, my Wife- 12.
Fresh - Me -6, Wife - 0

Of course that is with all new equipment which I'm sure changed the requirements some.

All of my history had been with warm, salt water diving and I dove with 9 pounds in a shorty. In fresh water in a full 7mm wetsuit, I ended up using 18 pounds to compensate for the extra neoprene.

ibnygator once bubbled...
All of my history had been with warm, salt water diving and I dove with 9 pounds in a shorty. In fresh water in a full 7mm wetsuit, I ended up using 18 pounds to compensate for the extra neoprene.

I would think, that if you used a wet suit, that will make a difference in the weight you use...
A 7mm suit, would use more weight than a 3mm suit.

Of course, I may be wrong...please correct me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom