Salvo 21w 10.4a battery specifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been involved with rechargeable batteries on a professional level for close to 30 years. I've designed and manufactured and sold well over 120,000 devices that included rechargeable batteries, from fairly small packs of ~20 watthours to some huge packs of almost 2 kilo watthours.

Most recently it's been mostly large lithium ion packs, some with 180 18650 cells, used in DPV's

Nobody I've encountered in the business refers to battery capacity by amphours alone. Usually by nominal voltage followed by amphours (or millamp hours in smaller packs)

It is routine for packs to be referenced by watthours when the specifics of voltage are not of primary concern.

I'll note that currently several DPV makers have stopped using amphours in their model descriptions and have switched to watthours. That's what "400" or "650" refers to in Dive X scoots, others have followed suit. Watthours fully communicates the capacity, where amphours is only half the required information.

Tobin

The OP did mention "airport" in his post. . . .

Yes, but I was not familiar with how the travel restrictions are stated. As far as I have seen from my perspective as a consumer of batteries, including Salvo/LM 21W lights, when a layperson consumer asks for the "capacity" of a battery for some battery-powered device, the answer is often given in Ah (or mAh), and I recall this being so as far back as the '70s. I can't say I have anywhere near your expertise, though I do have a BSEE. In the context of, as you say, being "in the business" of designing battery-powered devices or battery packs--or, as I appreciate now, in the context of the FAA having to set some threshold for a myriad of devices or their battery packs that might be brought onto a plane these days--then I can see how Ah doesn't give enough information. I appreciate the education in how manufacturers are moving away from Ah and giving the more useful Wh, as it will certainly be more useful as there are ever more battery-operated things that consumers will wish to take on planes. I suppose it's a result of advances in battery technology and the proliferation of battery-operated things that don't operate at standard voltages. That makes sense.

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry if I confused anyone with the word "capacity". What I am looking for is Wh which is what the is used in the IATA procedures for Lithium batteries. I did managed to find the information posted by someone who actually got their replacement battery pack. As it has been pointed out in the earlier response, it is about 115 Wh. (10.4Ah X 11.1V).

Thank you all again!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom