Salvo light failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cylinder and housing for the reflector are the same, I think, but the ballast is missing off the back, which makes the total size of what's sitting on the back of your hand significantly smaller.

I just thought I'd chime in and say how pleased I am with my Salvo light as well. Only have 3 dives on it (4 if you count the one where I forgot to connect the battery) and I haven't had to take advantage of the customer service yet (knock on wood), but the light is outstanding and Barry was friendly, helpful and prompt when I ordered.

I will definitely continue to do business with Salvo.

TSandM:
2.5 hours is precisely accurate -- my light quit 40 minutes into the third dive. It was my education in the fact that these lights don't dim and fail, they just . . . fail. But okay, now I know I need to bring the second battery on three tank days.

If this was the first charge, you will probably find that the NIMH batteries will hold more of a charge after you've gone through a number of charge cycles.

LOL... yes the lights just quit out when the NIMH battery is low... I forgot about that too and thought I had flooded my brand new Salvo... all it needed was a recharge(dooh!)

Yeah, I had a moment of sheer unadulterated panic when it quit . . . "Oh, no, I can't have flooded it on the very first day!" And then I remembered that they don't fade. Haven't got it recharged yet, so the issue remains in some slight doubt, but I think, given that I was 150 minutes into diving with it, it just ran out of steam.

I pick up my 21w 4.5 NiMH on Friday. Good to hear these reviews - thanks, people! I too had "a moment of sheer unadulterated panic" when I read the thread title...

Cheers,

hey peeps remember not to let your lights fizzle out. this deep dischare is a big no no for your batteries.

Spoon:
hey peeps remember not to let your lights fizzle out. this deep dischare is a big no no for your batteries.

big no no? as bad as diving "deep air".... :wink: just kiddin el kapitan! thanks for the battery tip...

Vie:
So what would be the advantage of choosing the 21W 14.4 Volt Remote Head instead of the 21W 9A NiMH? The "remote head"/smaller light head? The canister size for both lights are the same, the 21W "14.4" has less burn time and is a hundred bucks more expensive...

The main difference with the remote head HID is that the ballast is located inside the canister which provides more protection. If you are looking at the 9Amp lights you get more burn time with the remote head HID 300min vs. 240mins.

We usually have our Skype fired up if anyone overseas wants needs to speak with us - laughingblenny is our username.

Ben_ca:
Can someone post pictures of the new remote head side by side with an old (non remote) and an 18W H

Hi Ben,

I don't have a non-remote here at the moment, but basically ADD 1.5-2inches to the lenght of the light head : Click for remote head photo . This is due to the ballast being located in the head. With the remote head the ballast got moved to the canister therefore the head is smaller by that amount. I feel this works out better since the end of the light head come to the break of my wrist allowing for full range of movement. You end up with a slightly longer cansiter, but that hasn't proved to be an issue for anyone.

The 18W lights are not being manufactured anymore.

PM me if I can be of more assistance.

Roland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom