San Diego 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pamdiv

Contributor
Reaction score
Central California, until I retire then it's somew
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi y'all
We will be in San Diego the weekend of April 22. Looks like we will have time to dive on Sat. I would like to hear from all you folks down there on what you think would be the best dive to do. We are both Oly addicts and want some good photos to share. Anyone?
Thanks a bunch
Pam

best beach dive spot in san diego and i think everyone down here would agree is la jolla cove. hopefully by the time you come down the surf and viz will be better. if not catalina island is almost always awesome. to be honest if you are only gonna spend 1 day diving i would go to catalina and visit the dive park.

slyder:
best beach dive spot in san diego and i think everyone down here would agree is la jolla cove. hopefully by the time you come down the surf and viz will be better. if not catalina island is almost always awesome. to be honest if you are only gonna spend 1 day diving i would go to catalina and visit the dive park.
Would it better to do a boat dive? If so, which destination is best?

its always better to do a boat dive. as for best spots in catalina there are no bad spots. i havent been on a boat dive in catalina but al my friends have been on a few and they say the same thing there are no bad spots. i like the dive park because it is cheaper for 1 but there is so much to see glass bottom boat, 70" scooner with a big hole you can swim through, tons of fish the list goes on and on. my favorite boat dive was the los coranados islands at a spot called the lobster shack. its only $100 through dci charter in mission bay. thats a option too.

Pt loma kelp diving in awesome!!! Dive Connections or Louis Ann charters both go there.

Terry

La Jolla Canyon can be a pretty cool dive during the day and is almost always a good dive at night. Its much deeper than the Cove, of course.

if theres any surf at all id stay away from the cove unless you like to dive in green muck.

slyder:
in catalina you wont have this... like divinman said the kelp diving is awesome so much to choose from so little time. :>)
Diving Catalina from San Diego requires a lot of time since you have to either spend the night up in San Pedro/Long Beach area before the boat leaves on a Sat/Sun morning, or just drive up very early in the morning. Plus these charters are all day. Don't get me wrong, Catalina is awesome and I also highly recommend it if you have the time.

If you're just staying in San Diego for the weekend there are extensive kelp beds off Pt. Loma and is easily accessible from San Diego. Los Coronados is also close by and usually offers better visibility. DCI runs 2 tank trips which are easy to do without taking up the whole day. And if you like macro photography some of the wrecks in Wreck Alley will provide lots of opportunity for nudibranchs and other critters ... but ask Terry about that, he's the expert at nudi's :wink:

Check out the Lois Ann or the DCI boats. They will get you offshore at least. Los Coronados is pretty nice, and the Point Loma Kelp offers some amazing dives few people experience. Wreck Ally has the famous Yukon which you probably would enjoy. Why take a boat somewhere else? San Diego has great diving right here! If you can't get on a boat, let one of us know and perhaps we can show you the North Wall at the La Jolla Shores, night or day....

Enjoy!

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom