San Diego, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya...you're like a marshmallow in a 7mm wetsuit with hood. It takes a lot of weight to keep you from bobbing around in salt water like a buoy. :) BTW, just noticed where you're from. If you've been in the Salt Lake before, you probably experienced the buoyancy difference of salt vs. fresh water (although even more exaggerated in the lake...that thing is salty!).

I have a feeling, BTW, that you’re going to love diving in the ocean. I don’t know where you usually go diving, or where you were certified, but nothing compares to the amount of life, color, and variety of the ocean. And as far as variety goes, nothing beats the California coast (although a little further north provides probably even a little more variety). Because of all of the exposure protection and thus, the extra weight, diving here can be a bit more challenging, but it’s not difficult. You’ll have a blast.

First ocean dive? I take it that it'll also be your first cold water dive and likely first low vis dive, too. Not to mention kelp!

California diving is great, but it can range from challenging to dangerous to the unprepared.

Typically, the California DM stays on the boat and the divers themselves are responsible for planning and executing their own dives without any supervision (including finding their way back to the boat).

As a consequence, I HIGHLY recommend that you hire a DM to dive with you. They can be arranged by any of the dive ops. Or, you may find it even better to hire an instructor and take a cont. ed. class during your dives. (Cost likely to be not that much more than hiring a DM and you get more instruction and, of course, another cert. card.)

Be safe and have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been on a lot of dives that the vis was very low. You could barely see your hand right in front of your face. I have my cert. in open water and also search and rescue. I just have never been to the ocean since i am located in Utah.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom