San Diego - Carlsbad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were you I'd rent a 7 mil and a Steel 120 from Dive California drive up to La Jolla Shores and dive Vallecitos point. Basically park at the life guard tower suit up and surface swim due west to the dive buoy. Swim ~ 100 yds west(more) and dive ~ 35-50fsw to the bottom depending on the tide and the distance you travel past the buoy. Take a heading west till you hit 55fsw and head south along the wall. When you hit 1200 psi head E by NE and surface at about 4 fsw.
@Skull: I'm glad you posted with all of the info for the other dive shops. I don't have much knowledge of the ones you mentioned, since I spend the bulk of my time up here in La Jolla. I'm really impressed that you know of a place that rents steel 120s. Wow! I'll have to keep that in mind when I have out-of-town visitors.

With regard to your directions to Vallecitos Point, I'm a little confused. Which buoy are you talking about? AFAIK, there is no buoy in the location that you indicated. There have been white and salmon-colored training buoys in the area, but I haven't seen them in quite some time...so I assume that they were either removed or carried away by storms. There are yellow buoys located on the outside of the reserve. Here's a link to a map of the buoys in relation to the Main Lifeguard Tower. I'm not sure how useful those yellow buoys are, though, in terms of line-ups for any of the Shores dive sites. I regularly use Buoy A for finding the various rockpiles near La Jolla Cove.

If it's been some time since you've dived the Shores and you want additional line-ups (just in case), I can highly recommend the Divebums.com Dive Site webpages. There are very nice line-ups for the Main Wall that will put you just south of Vallecitos Point. I prefer to get geared up in the grass over by the flagpole. This way, upon exit, you can hit the showers and rinse the salt water off.
To find Vallecitos Point, enter the water from the showers on Vallecitos Street. Head west from shore keeping the palm trees on the north side of Vallecitos in line (so that you can only see the nearest one). Kick out until you can line up the end of Scripps Pier with the salmon-colored house (it's the 2nd house north of The Ginormous Mansion on the bluffs overlooking the La Jolla Farms beach access road - where people park to dive Scripps Canyon). Drop down into 20-25 fsw. Head west until you hit the Main Wall at 50-55 fsw. Then head north along the wall until you hit the Point. Can't miss it! :D
Have fun...

Last edited:
@Skull: I'm glad you posted with all of the info for the other dive shops. I don't have much knowledge of the ones you mentioned, since I spend the bulk of my time up here in La Jolla. I'm really impressed that you know of a place that rents steel 120s. Wow! I'll have to keep that in mind when I have out-of-town visitors.

With regard to your directions to Vallecitos Point, I'm a little confused. Which buoy are you talking about? AFAIK, there is no buoy in the location that you indicated. There have been white and salmon-colored training buoys in the area, but I haven't seen them in quite some time...so I assume that they were either removed or carried away by storms. There are yellow buoys located on the outside of the reserve. Here's a link to a map of the buoys in relation to the Main Lifeguard Tower. I'm not sure how useful those yellow buoys are, though, in terms of line-ups for any of the Shores dive sites. I regularly use Buoy A for finding the various rockpiles near La Jolla Cove.

If it's been some time since you've dived the Shores and you want additional line-ups (just in case), I can highly recommend the Divebums.com Dive Site webpages. There are very nice line-ups for the Main Wall that will put you just south of Vallecitos Point. I prefer to get geared up in the grass over by the flagpole. This way, upon exit, you can hit the showers and rinse the salt water off.
To find Vallecitos Point, enter the water from the showers on Vallecitos Street. Head west from shore keeping the palm trees on the north side of Vallecitos in line (so that you can only see the nearest one). Kick out until you can line up the end of Scripps Pier with the salmon-colored house (it's the 2nd house north of The Ginormous Mansion on the bluffs overlooking the La Jolla Farms beach access road - where people park to dive Scripps Canyon). Drop down into 20-25 fsw. Head west until you hit the Main Wall at 50-55 fsw. Then head north along the wall until you hit the Point. Can't miss it! :D
Have fun...

Awww yea I forgot its winter ... the red buoy is probably long gone. I haven't dove the shores since nov. 08 ... good point. I typically dive from my boat -Marine Street LA Jolla-Wind-n-Sea, on down the coast to the green tanks Point Loma. All are from my boat and usually for lobsters ... might take the OP up on a weds. shore dive. Haven't dove the North Wall since last summer might be fun this time of year. Are there any squid eggs left?

I like doing a north to south trip since typically the long shore is flowing that way this time of year ... then again I haven't dove the shores since Nov ... oh well ..K..possibly we can do the north wall .. I'll PM you if I can get away wed am ...

Last edited:
Ya just let me know. If I don't hear anything from anyone I may just order another boat ride to Coronado, but that may be too expensive. But regardless, just let me know when you find out if you have Wednesday available.

Haven't dove the North Wall since last summer might be fun this time of year. Are there any squid eggs left?
@Skull: Sorry. I just saw your question. Yes, there are a few clutches of eggs on the Main Wall, but nothing like in past years. There's a small cluster on the wall just south of Vallecitos Point and a couple small clutches between the Point and the old engine block. I haven't done a North Wall dive in some time, so I don't know whether there are any squid eggs there.
I hope that you and the OP were able to dive this morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom