San Francisco stopover for 6 hours. .need suggestions what to do in there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could try this.
Go to the Tadich Grill on California St.
http://www.tadichgrill.com/
It's one of the oldest restaurants in SF.
Any cab driver in the city will know instantly where it is.
It has lots of old city history and a real established feel.
I recommend the seafood sautee, absolutely stunning.
Going to the Tadich should be on everyone's bucket list of they're anywhere near it and in the city, it's that famous.
That would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Louvre.

Or maybe try a place in North Beach.
You would be hard pressed to find a bad one. It's probably one of the most competitive culinary places in the world.

The other iconic seafood restaurant in SF is Alioto's.
http://aliotos.com/

That's on the wharf, however the wharf may be mobbed, kinda touristy.

Yes, Fisherman's wharf is touristy, but hey, for a six year old it would probably be pretty fun. Plus you get to walk around outside and get the kid's wiggles out, see the Golden Gate Bridge, see and smell the sea lions, and so on.

We tended not to go to very fancy restaurants when our kids were six... And walking around mission might be appealing for an adult to see urban art, but perhaps less so for a six year old. A restaurant view of the south bay might also be less stimulating for a kid. At least those are my two cents.

Yes, BART goes straight to the international terminal (a very short, indoor walk from other terminals, or take the AirTrain within the airport to get there). But you have to walk/AirTrain to the international terminal, figure out tickets, wait for the next train, then figure out taxi or cable car to the wharf. For two adults and a kid, BART plus cable car add up to over $30 each way, and even though the BART ride to Powell is only 30 minutes I think you're talking over an hour of terminal-to-Wharf transit time each way.

Given your timing, I would suggest instead that you just step outside the terminal where you arrive and take a taxi straight to Fisherman's Wharf. Might cost $60 with tip, but you get there in half an hour and can concentrate on the fun of walking around. Spend an hour or two, grab food from a boardwalk vendor instead of sitting in a restaurant, and buzz back on a taxi.

The cable car often has long lines (up to an hour) at the terminal stops. If you walk to the next stop you generally can get on the next car as they do not allow it to completely fill at the start.

The mission district suggestion is also a great idea.

I would do more research on the cost of a taxi. And the time required. The Bart can be much faster than a car stuck in traffic.

Taxi midday from SFO to the city should be quick. Taxi back might be slower; you could always get a cab to the nearest BART and do BART back to the airport.

If the United flight I'm coming is on time I think we'll stick with the wharf plan. ... I'm gonna set a rule that I'll have to take the Bart back to SFO ... say take the 3:30pm train from one of the nearby stations.

I haven't checked Bart timings yet so that time limit is approx.

Being underground Bart should always be on time right? I hope !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Realize you will be trying to get back to the airport, in the commute direction, when the commute is going. Commute home starts ~ 2 PM. You have my admiration for trying to go out, even without a six yr old kid in tow.

Back
Top Bottom