San Juan/St. Maartin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jesstotheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm cruising on the Carnival Triumph March 12 to San Juan, St. Thomas & St. Maartin. I would like to dive on 2 of the 3 islands were going to. In St. Thomas I'm going to dive on Coki Beach (I've been to and awesome ocean life). I'm only in San Juan from 5-midnight. Does anybody recomend any dive shops within walking distance of the port? Or have dove there with Carnival (and how much was it?). I think were going to chill on Orient Beach on St. Maartin. Any info would help, thanks.

depends on where you dock. if you're in old town or farther down by the old pier. however, i used to be on a ship based in san juan and we never dove there since there are no real dive sites in the san juan area. it's been about five years since i was there but there was nothing anywhere near where the ships dock.

if you're in san juan during the morning you might be able to get a cab ride farther out and maybe get to a dive shop. it was kind of a hassle though so we would just go to one of the hotels and hang out by the pool drinking beers or maybe go to a couple places to shoot pool.

sorry, but if you want to go dive there, it will require a considerable amount of effort.

Stivo:
....sorry, but if you want to go dive there, it will require a considerable amount of effort.

I'll second this advice. The decent diving in Puerto Rico is quite a distance from San Juan, so you would be very hard pressed for time if you did try to dive there

After some research I found a hotel called the Park Plaza Normandie that is about 5 minutes down the road from the pier that does a night dive at 6:30. That's perfect!! I'm a new diver and I'm more excited about getting in the water then actually seeing sunken boats.

jesstotheocean:
I'm cruising on the Carnival Triumph March 12 to San Juan, St. Thomas & St. Maartin. I would like to dive on 2 of the 3 islands were going to. In St. Thomas I'm going to dive on Coki Beach (I've been to and awesome ocean life). I'm only in San Juan from 5-midnight. Does anybody recomend any dive shops within walking distance of the port? Or have dove there with Carnival (and how much was it?). I think were going to chill on Orient Beach on St. Maartin. Any info would help, thanks.

Jess,

I am heading to the same area in September, and decided to get my dive certification before this trip because I am tired of "just snorkling." Let us know what you find when you get back, as I am looking to do the same!

jesstotheocean:
Just wondering but I've read some forums where they say the water is murky & muddy? Isn't it the ocean blue and clear?

from http://www.caribdiveguide.com/Puerto_Rico.htm

The East coast is where San Juan dive stores take their tourist divers and where the dive stores in the vicinity of Fajardo dive. Dive sites off the east coast are around a series of small uninhabited islands—Palomino, Palominitos, and Cayo Diablo in particular. Bone white beaches lead to shallow reefs, some of which have been buoyed in order to minimise damage to the reef. Visibility is variable due to a combination of factors. Shallow sites with a fine sandy bottom are vulnerable to swells stirring up the sediment. Rainwater run-off from the mainland rain forests also affects these sites. Visibility is generally better in the summer but it can vary from day to day in the winter, with 50 feet one day and 25 feet the next.

Back
Top Bottom