Sand Fleas vs Sea Lice? - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelgeek:
Could be interesting, since we are snorkelers, to observe the "remove wet clothing upon surfacing" suggestion! :sgrin: If you are in the area next May and hear screams, that would be from the other people watching us come out!!
A full lycra skin is great for snorkeling not just diving, to prevent stings and sunburn. Bathing suit underneath, to avoid the screams. :crafty:

Thanks for the suggestion. For sunburn, I have designed and sewn up snorkel vests for us. Work like a charm. Am having a hard time picturing the lot of us in lycra!
:10:

Brenda

The backs of your legs can easily get sunburned too.

Addict:
DocVikingo - thanks for posting this again. This time I am writing it down so I don't forget to shop for these products...

I appreciate the acknowledgement.

Thanks.

DocVikingo

Just got back from Fantasy Island and had quite an issue with the sand fleas. I had at least 100 bites and we went through 2 1/2 cans of OFF (with 30% DEET). We did try to religiously apply it whenever we went out but still got eaten up. Pretty itchy!

I also got a rash on one arm while snorkelling. I'm not sure if this was sea lice or thimble jellyfish. It stung for a few minutes but then went away.

Ed

HELP! My wife got bitten up by what we think were sand fleas, while sunning on a beach near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Since sand fleas never seem to be a problem in this area, no one knows what to do about the bites! All my web searching for remedies have been in vain, since everyone talks only about prevention.
Any cures for the bites and itching are most gratefully welcomed!!

just got back from Roatan - stayed at Las Rocas at West Bay Beach. Everyone got bitten pretty badly by the Sand flies - i seemed to avoid it and i was the only one using Burts Bees insect repelant - maybe because it's oil based. The flies did drive some people demented - take benadryl or something with you - i really enjoyed the diving and the prices seem better than a lot of other places -
Enjoy!

hey doc....
I was just down in Bonaire and got a "rash" on my hands. Others I was with did as well and one lady got it on her upper thighs ( she did dive full suit).

It is red...bumpy...feels grainy and itches like the devil. The good news is I have been back a week now and it is about 60% gone.

Any idea what it might have been?? No...I didnt touch anything...didnt rub up against anything...under or above the water.....and it was only the tops of my hands that were effected.

I have read recently that Stridex Pads are good to use after a dive. Any thoughts on that??
rich

Back
Top Bottom