Sand Harbor, Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As of a couple of weeks ago, the water temperatures were still in the high 30's to low 40's, which is a fare bit colder than 50 deg. I have seen people dive wetsuits in the winter, but I don't know how. I guess it is for very short open water checkout dives.

Not using a scooter makes a big difference, Mike:D I've dived there in 40 degree water in a wetsuit for 45-60 minutes and didn't freeze, but I was either timing myself swimming the benchmark course (up and back) or else looking around some large site that lacked anything to hold my interest in a small area. I've actually felt warmer in my wetsuit (I'm not saying I WAS warmer) diving in mountain lakes than I have in warmer Monterey, because I never stop swimming for any length of time as there's much less to look at. But I'm not a photographer, and I don't use a scooter.

Unless your dives will be very short, I recommend a drysuit for Tahoe in the Winter.
Definitely preferable.

By summer, the shallow areas of Sand Harbor will be in the high 60's, which is very nice. If you are in a wetsuit, you may want to wait until summer.
Early fall is even warmer. I think the week or two after Labor day may have the highest temps (and the crowds disappear), but it drops quickly after that.

Guy

Myka, did you find what you were looking for? I was doing a scooter dive of Rubicon Wall Sunday, or I would have joined you. Let us know what you found.

hi Mike.
No, I didn't dive Sand Harbor.... the burst disk on my oxygen tank broke....
no oxygen, no dive...
I really hate this "security"....
Anyway, next time I will dive Tahoe somewhere, sand Harbor or Rubiccon wall...
See you
M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom