Sanity check... is this normal condensation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cuervo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all - I am new to the forum. Currently diving in Bonaire.

I have a Bauer Junior ii installed on my boat, and I’m new to its operation. (I have read the manual).

When I drain the condensation from the oil and water separator after 15 mins of operation, the discharge looks milky and feels noticeably oily.

Is this normal? The air in the tank has no taste or smell of oil.

-Andy

normal

When I drain the condensation from the oil and water separator after 15 mins of operation, the discharge looks milky and feels noticeably oily.

Is this normal? The air in the tank has no taste or smell of oil.

That's what it is expected to be, nothing wrong or unusual about it.

As others have said, normal. Here’s a few more details:

The walls of the cylinder are coated with oil by design. That’s why it’s there. :) Therefore, the condensation that forms from the compression process is going to pick up the oil. The reciprocating action causes the oil to emulsify with the condensation, which is why it’s milky white.

That’s why proper condensation management is essential for scuba diving air. The coalescers are designed to catch the majority of that. If they are overwhelmed or not working properly, all of that gunk will attack your filters, which are only designed to remove only trace amounts left with properly working coalescers, not bulk levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom