Saturday Dive at Cape Ann

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68:
I dive wet. It turns out I couldn't make it up there this weekend to dive anyway. Bummer. I'm already making plans for next weekend, though. Whoever goes in this weekend, have fun. I look forward to reading any reports.

Michael

Hey Mike,
I just got a new drysuit and I'm looking to dive it. I'd like to start with a mellow dive or 2 first for good reason, until I get the hang of diving dry. I'm about 60 miles South of you in New Milford. West Hill pond, Dutch or RI might be good "test" dives. Keep me in mind.

RiverRat:
Hey Mike,
I just got a new drysuit and I'm looking to dive it. I'd like to start with a mellow dive or 2 first for good reason, until I get the hang of diving dry. I'm about 60 miles South of you in New Milford. West Hill pond, Dutch or RI might be good "test" dives. Keep me in mind.

Congrats on the new purchase.

I'll definitely get in touch to coordinate some diving.

In the meantime, I'm heading up to Cape Ann this Saturday morning with a couple friends. If you want to meet us up there, let me know.

Next weekend, I'll be diving at Fort Wetherill for my Rescue class.

So, those are my diving plans for the next 2 weekends.

Michael

michaelp68:
Congrats on the new purchase.

I'll definitely get in touch to coordinate some diving.

In the meantime, I'm heading up to Cape Ann this Saturday morning with a couple friends. If you want to meet us up there, let me know.

Next weekend, I'll be diving at Fort Wetherill for my Rescue class.

So, those are my diving plans for the next 2 weekends.

Michael

Hey thanks for the offer but I just made plans yesterday with ScubaBruce from the board and some other folks for Sat. at Bashan Lake. It's a mellow dive but should be perfect for me to break in the suit. We'll be diving in Ft. Wetherill for sure so we'll hook up at some point. Good luck on your Rescue class! You'll enjoy it.

RiverRat:
Hey thanks for the offer but I just made plans yesterday with ScubaBruce from the board and some other folks for Sat. at Bashan Lake. It's a mellow dive but should be perfect for me to break in the suit. We'll be diving in Ft. Wetherill for sure so we'll hook up at some point. Good luck on your Rescue class! You'll enjoy it.

Have fun at Bashan Lake, and let us know how the diving is.

michaelp68:
Have fun at Bashan Lake, and let us know how the diving is.

Well I had a good time diving Bashan Lake yesterday with ScubaBruce and ScubaSaurus.
We all had some equipment issues to sort out including several of my own. We dove off the Dam. A little hike and dam climbing (watch the slippery rocks) and we got to a nice little dive. Thanks to ScubaSaurus' fantastic search and recovery skills I got my brand new Jet Fin with new spring strap back and was able to dive :) In any event we worked out the bugs and got in about an hours dive time. 15 -20 ffw Vis. 60 degree temps. Chris got some pics with his new camera/case and Bruce found a neat old Pepsi bottle. So with that I'm ready for more with the drysuit. As far as CT lakes go Bashan is a pretty good dive spot.

Just came in from Jamestown RI, diving at the fort. About 20' vis 52o water temp. A pretty good dive. But the crummy weather lately hasen't helped the vis. much.

I have to say; it took a while but no succesful dive need go rushed. We got set back an hour or 2 begining with a chat at Bruces and a bridge construction diverting us to use the Historic Chester-Hadlyme Ferry to cross the river. Our lack of having to rush into the water made for a much successful dive. I just enjoy diving that spot with the sun coming thru. Plenty of fish and a nice little depth.

Glad you could make it Chris and glad the suit fit like a glove.

I was up at Cape Ann on Saturday morning.

Air temperature was about 50 degrees, roughly, and it was very windy. I was thinking that getting out of the water in my wetsuit was not going to be particularly fun.

First we looked at the conditions at Back Beach. It was quite choppy with lots of whitecaps, so we decided to go to a more sheltered site.

Second, we looked at Folly Cove. Wow!!!!! There were steady rolling big waves. You could have surfed there. Again, we decided to go to a more sheltered site.

Third, we went to Plum Cove. It was a little choppy and there was some surf, but it really wasn't too bad, especially compared with the other two places. So we went in.

Max depth was 24 feet, coldest temperature was 44 degrees and visibility was about five feet.

There were three of us. Saw lots of crabs and skate. Saw one lobster.

It was nice getting in the water and enjoying a dive, but we were a bit bummed that the conditions weren't nicer, especially after several weekends of bad weather.

Next weekend, I'll be diving at Jamestown for a Rescue class.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom