Savannah, GA Fresh/Saltwater Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S.Group

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I have lived in Georgia for about 6 years now but have recently started to get back into the swing of things. I was wondering if anyone here dives around the Savannah, GA area? Looking to get into a group that knows some fun dive spots and doesnt mind having a yankee tag along. Thank you for your time.

I moved to ATL from south FL last year: everyone has told me that Savanah doesn't have regular charters or good diving (though private boats go to Grey's reef which is supposed to be incredible). The diving community and boats are centered in Charleston or south GA near the FL boarder.

One word (or maybe two) for you: road trip. Florida is such an easy shot down I-95, I wouldn't bother with coastal GA diving, which I have heard is just not very good (except for difficult-to-reach places like Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary that sportxlh mentions). Even Jacksonville would be better.

Thank you all for the replies. I have already hooked up with two dive shops one is Savannah and one in Statesboro who both say pretty much the same thing. The diving trips that take are not very expensive and they both mainly go to florida for both freshwater and salt-water dives. Places like Crystal River, Blue Hole Springs, Key Largo, and West Palm. I was really hoping for a closer to home kind of group, back home they was around 6-8 of us that would all get together and dive the local rivers for treasure. Ipods, GoPros, Watches, Sunglasses were the usual finds but every once in awhile we would find some fun stuff. Guess I will have to wait and hope.

I live in Savannah too, and I get the same story from the dive shops. I would still like to dive Gray's reef or J buoy eventually but I just got back from spring diving with local buddies and we are planning to go to West Palm soon!

Charleston does have a few dive boats. I think the in-shore dives can be a bit murky, but is a way to get wet that's not too far away from your new home. Since moving to ATL, I've been doing some gulf diving and it's not too bad. Not as nice as the Keys but still pretty fun. Most of the wrecks have resident goliath grouper

Just thought to revive this thread... I live in Savannah area as well. I used to live in Davie, which is right outside of Fort Lauderdale, FL for 5 years. We would go diving almost every weekend, but now, I only dive in Jax or on vacation. Anyways, do you guys know of a good dive charter in Jax that you use?

Just thought to revive this thread... I live in Savannah area as well. I used to live in Davie, which is right outside of Fort Lauderdale, FL for 5 years. We would go diving almost every weekend, but now, I only dive in Jax or on vacation. Anyways, do you guys know of a good dive charter in Jax that you use?

Scubajw: having lived in the Jupiter area for almost 10 years, I got accustomed to diving every Saturday morning too. Like you, diving now takes a special trip and is amazingly expensive when compared to rolling out of bed and driving 15 minutes to the marina or dive boat.

I moved to ATL from south FL last year: everyone has told me that Savanah doesn't have regular charters or good diving (though private boats go to Grey's reef which is supposed to be incredible). The diving community and boats are centered in Charleston or south GA near the FL boarder.
A lot of the dive operations have closed down in the southern GA area. Any recommendations of good dive boat charters?

Back
Top Bottom