Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I some times agree with what they do

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I disagree with there mandate and objectives

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch103 once bubbled...

How are private individuals allowed to put mooring bouys on "public" wrecks ?....Or are the bouys/markers put "beside" it ?

I really don't know if they're allowed to.... I just know some have done it. Also I'm not sure if they're really on the wreck or just beside it as you suggest.

I'll see if I can get more info.

A Proper mooring line is placed on a pully system just to the side of a wreck attached to a cement block with a guide line over to the wreck to prevent damage to the wreck and to provide some slack and give for the boat riding up and down on the waves. This type of system prevents mooring lines that would of been attached directly to a wreck from pulling the wreck apart. If your so kind to put your own line on a none charter active wreck, expect every one to use it, and there is no "ITS MY LINE GET OFF ATTITUDE", you'l just have to hook up at the stern.

Mark V:D

I am a member of SOS and I am in agreement with what they are doing to preserve our wrecks.

The people I have a problem with are the "scum of the earth" that I see using lift bags etc taking stuff off of wrecks and other items of value.

I have a number of witnesses who have seen a number of your "lift bag" efforts ( you know who you are ) and we are only waiting for the right time to take you down.

If any of you scum are reading this post, bear in mind that you will be prosecuted and that you will get some serious jail time, not to mentioned that you'll never be able to show your face around the dive community in the future! What you are doing is a crime and it sucks big time!!

So, in closing, the "scum" better beware, because the good divers are constantly watching you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with taz22.. Removing artifacts from wrecks sucks.. I just started diving this year and I really onjoy our fresh water wrecks. They are among the best in the world. I dove a couple of wrecks on the Pacific coast and you can hardly tell they there is a boat under all the growth. If you are into pretty fish and sea life that's great. I prefer the history of the various wrecks and once all the artifacts are removed they are boring. This is a non renewable resource. The entire diving industry depends on it. You remove the wrecks and what else is there to look at, at the bottom of the lake.. Nothing.. So what's the point in going diving.
I really hope people who remove artifacts from wrecks should be prosecuted. BTW.. What is the proper procedure to report someone if you witness someone removing an artifact from a wreck... Do I call the Police, SOS, or do I just cut his hoses? :)

sparky30 once bubbled...
... BTW.. What is the proper procedure to report someone if you witness someone removing an artifact from a wreck... Do I call the Police, SOS, or do I just cut his hoses? :)

do the latter, that WILL get you into trouble. Take note of the diver, the boat he/she came on, what was removed, date time etc. Contact the police authority for the waterway. In Ontario you could also probably report it to the Provincial Archeologist (I'll dig up the proper contact for him)

Removing artefacts is against the law here in Ontario and people can (and have been) prosecuted for removing them.

slam the buggers severally..................Re the mooring lines....We have been told whomever marks a hazzard and I can make the assumption that the markers on wrecks also qualify under the same ruling ..are the responsibility of the person who put it there in the first place.....IN other words you mark a hazzard and the marker breaks loose...you can be held liable for not replacing it and damage is done to water craft................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom