Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There are only a few Goliath Grouper permits being handed out. Please consider applying for one to save a Jewfish!

Pretty sure FWC will be keeping tabs on usage on modify number of tags baes on it.
Also publicly trying to subvert the system will likey only make matters worse as fishermen already distrust the regulatory process and will use posts like this to validate their position.

Pretty sure FWC will be keeping tabs on usage on modify number of tags baes on it.
Also publicly trying to subvert the system will likey only make matters worse as fishermen already distrust the regulatory process and will use posts like this to validate their position.

Fair enough, since many distrust the fishermen.
If this prevents even one GG killer from getting a permit, that is a win.

I like the idea of buying a permit and not using it, which still begs the question. Why are permits issued in the first place?
There are a few more Jewfish and the aholes want to kill them.

Full disclosure, I'm a keen angler, enjoy fishing and kill a lot of fish to eat every year... BUT would have no interest in catching this species given their conservation status.

Something I find particularly distasteful is fishermen on YouTube deliberately targeting goliath grouper just for fun. Obviously, there is a huge tussle and big hooks are used. Good for click bait, not good for the fish.

My personal interaction with these fish was hooking another species of some kind in the Florida Keys and then seeing one of these leviathans appear from the deep and take my fish. It took my breath away! Very cool.

I'm a keen angler, enjoy fishing and kill a lot of fish to eat every year.
Indeed. I love to fish and eat my catch. But not the noble Jewfish. They are the Super stars of the reef.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom