Save the Turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W8less

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
One more Belize story.

On the boat during a surface interval between dives we spot this brown mass bobbing in the swells on the surface. We cruise by and on closer inspection we found that it was a Turtle completely ensnared and trapped in a chunk of fishing net. To say it was stressed is an under statement. It was too dicey to try and cut the net off in the water (heavy swells) with a very sharp knife, so we hauled it on board and cut away the netting. The poor guy/gal had ligature cuts at base of fins and neck but seemed to be OK. (Not a turtle vet). It was with great pleasure that we released it to the sea. It was one of those "magical, why we dive moments"

Some minor cuts on fins and neck but earger to get back in the water.jpg

Keeping him her calm while cutting away the net.jpg

Turtle found on surface trapped in fishing net.jpg

Well done!

I think it is important we try to clean up the oceans as much as we can when we dive.

B.

On behalf of the turtle, thanks!

I'm gonna buy a dive scissor ASAP now :)

Nice going. Turtles have a lot going against them. Nets and any plastic that vaguely looks like jelly fish. Not to mention Central/South Americans eating the eggs. Shame they don't have better laws.

The laws are there. They are disregarded by either people looking for a profit or are in need of something to eat, in which case, as much as I like and wish to see turtles, it's people before turtles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom