SB-102 and NiMh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris,

Thanks for the info, I ordered some CTA 5500mah. Quite a bit cheaper than Powerex 5000mah, hopefully they will work as well.

Gregg

Also get yourself a GOOD charger! Cheap ones that do not monitor the battery level will overcharge and reduce the life of the cells.

I used to get rechargeable batteries from a company called Portable Power. they sell in bulk and more important they offer the industrial types used by manufacturers! Back in the Nicad days I used these in my 102, they reduced the often painfully slow recycle time.

Aside from the recycle issue, the SB-102 is a wonderful unit since it creates a very nice even beam.

CB

Chris,

I've been using Powerex AA's and Maha chargers for a couple of years with great results. I bought an Accumanager 2020 charger for the C's.

Thanks!

Gregg

spyder:
Chris,

I've been using Powerex AA's and Maha chargers for a couple of years with great results. I bought an Accumanager 2020 charger for the C's.

Thanks!

Gregg

Hi Gregg

The MAHA is DA KINE!!

lucky for me, living in Japan gives me access to cheap high quality cells AND small/light and cheap quality chargers. Next time I am in Tokyo I will check to see if there is a "C" charger available. "C" batterys are not all that common here AAA, AA and D size tend to be used.

Glad Nikon has no problems with NiMH batteries. That was one awesome flash - on deep night dives, the guys in the boat said that they whole ocean around them would explode into light when I was shooting. It sure was a pain to deal with topside though.

Received my CTA 5500mah NiMh batteries and Accumanager 2020 charger. I've started testing the strobe and so far so good. On full power it takes right at 3 seconds to recycle and I'm up to 70+ flashes with no degradation in recycle time. The sound the strobe makes is the same with alkaline or the NiMh batteries (no extra or strange whine). For grins and giggles I turned on the aiming light figuring it would go pop but it didn't.

I found my old 102 to be quite durable, used it for years, took it down FAR below the recommended depth A LOT, mixed batteries, you name it, even used bullfrog sun screen as O-ring lube once. never had it serviced! AND the aiming light never died. As far as I know it is still working to this day. not what I can say about a lot of strobes I have and still use.

Back
Top Bottom