Scallops! Another great charter with Fran Marcoux! Dive Report & Pics- Thurs. 6/30/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Being on Fran Marcoux' email list is great! I saw that he added a scallop charter and called right away.

For those who might be interested: Fran Marcoux, Cape Ann Charters Inc. (Boat: Daybreaker, at Cape Ann Marina, Gloucester, MA), (508) 873-8339, franm52@aol.com

I've been on several scallop dive charters with Fran Marcoux, so I had high hopes for a good harvest. But when I asked where he would be going, he said he'd like to try a NEW area.... Uh, oh. I've tried "new areas" in my own boat and I know a good haul is definitely NOT guaranteed.... But, then again, fresh, unpicked beds are wonderful thing.... I rushed to sign up! :D

This charter was going to be super convenient, as I was already in the area on vacation, so it wouldn't be the typical 16-hour dive day, including the 5 hours travel time. :wink:

It would be a weekday afternoon charter with mild seas and sunny, pleasant weather. Perfect! For a change, Fran would also be able to dive, as two divers had to cancel the night before. We would have plenty of room with only four divers. :D

It didn't take us long to motor several miles from Gloucester Harbor to Fran's "NEW" areas in the Salem Sound. Fran briefed us on the depths (40 to 60'), the lay and nature of the bottom (gravel and silt, sloping gradually from 40 to 60'), the direction and speed of current (moderate current) and the most promising areas for beds. Without delay, all four divers, including Fran, got into the water. A diver could go in any direction he chose and the boat would come pick him up wherever the diver ended up. Nice plan.

All divers got scallops on both dives!

Dive Report:

Dive 1- In around 3pm, max depth 62', water temp 48*F, mild current (about 3 inches per second), vis about 20-30', moderately silty gravel bottom, bottom time of 55 minutes. Scallops were abundant at first, then became more scarce halfway through the dive as the depth increased and the bottom became more silty. Loaded 2/3 of a big bag which turned out later to yield 4lbs of scallop meat.

Dive 2 (different location)- In around 5:15pm, max depth 46', similar conditions as first dive, bottom time of 82 minutes. The dive started poorly with NO scallops for first 10 minutes and only a dozen over the next 40 minutes or so, then it quickly got better until it became a veritable GOLDMINE! I got the vast majority of my take in the last 20 minutes of the dive! Was often seeing 4 or 5 at one time in the good vis! Before I knew it, I completely filled my big catch bag (about 20+ gallon size) plus 1/3 of another big bag (my "Wishful Thinking" bag). (The take from this one dive would later yield 6lbs of scallop meat!) Low air FORCED me to leave the bottom with scallops STILL IN VIEW! ARRRGH! Ran my air so low, I couldn't quite get my whole 3-minute safety stop.... Unfortunately, being able to still see scallops always tempts me to overstay.... :shakehead:

Pics follow.

Dave C

Fran Marcoux (next to ladder) talking with friends at dock, while a diver preps.
01DSC06228_ACt_R1000_SB.jpg

Fran pulls in his lift bag and scallop bag.
02DSC06237_ACt_Ro_R1000_SB.jpg

The haul after the first dive (everyone got a good amount of scallops).
03DSC06245_ACt_R1000_SB.jpg

A smiling friend beckons....I smiled back.... :D
04P6301496_CCR_Sat_H_R1000_SB.jpg

A close-up portrait: Sure looks beautiful to me!
05P6301498_CCR_Sat_H_R1000_SB.jpg

My 2nd dive was very productive. While catching my breath, I snapped a shot of my big catch bag which the GOLDMINE quickly filled! After that, I got to deploy my "Wishful Thinking" bag.... :D
06P6301484_CCR_M-Cr_R1000_SB.jpg

Divers were spread over about 3/8 of a mile, but all had individual flags and were picked up by the boat soon after surfacing.
07P6301512_ACt_Ro_Cr_R1000_SB.jpg

Nice dive boat. Easy ladder to climb. Fran's son, Matt, is at the helm.
08P6301519_ACt_Ro_Cr_R1000_SB.jpg

I'm tired, but real happy with a good haul! Almost as good as the "good old days"! :wink:
09DSC06259_ACt_R1000_SB.jpg

This is just the scallops from the first dive! We more than doubled this pile after the 2nd dive! It was a good day for everyone!
010DSC06254_ACt_R1000_SB.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report - thank you! I've dived once with Fran before - nice guy.

I used to do lots of boat diving a few years back. But since the economy tanked and we started seeing summarily price hikes all around (while the salaries are not going anywhere unless you are a wall street CEO), I was forced to cut back on a lot of the discretionary spending. Feel lucky to have a job at all. :(

This is so not right!!! :depressed: I need those fresh scallops for my sushi raw bar!!!! A tiny bit of soy sauce and real wasabi would be perfect.

Great report. Thanks.

X

Yes it was a perfect day for getting dinner. About time I witnessed Fran getting wet.

I don't know how you were able to also take pics down under but if I happen to be in any of your good ones, let me know.

You did bag the most if I can recall correctly. I will follow you next time. :)

It's good to meet a fellow "ScubaBoardian"

Armando

Dave you take some great pictures !!! glad you had a good day !

Yes it was a perfect day for getting dinner. About time I witnessed Fran getting wet.

I don't know how you were able to also take pics down under but if I happen to be in any of your good ones, let me know.

You did bag the most if I can recall correctly. I will follow you next time. :)

It's good to meet a fellow "ScubaBoardian".

Nice to meet you, too! Yes, it was nice to see Fran get to dive for a change!

I got a few good pics of you, so PM me your home address and I'll be glad send you a CD of the pics! :)

You're welcome to follow me on a scallop dive, but don't be disappointed if you don't find any.... :wink:

Dave C

Dave,

You are a scallop diving freak. I mean this in a good way!! Great photos.

But I'm pissed that you didn't give me credit for that fantastic photo of you with those two huge bags of scallops!!! You should have at least watermarked the photo with "coach87"

Armando...you are correct...I have been diving on the daybreaker since 2005 and have only heard rumors that Fran actually scuba dives. I thought he downloaded those Titanic photos from Smithsonian dot com.

Fran and Matt do know their stuff!!!

After giving away most of my catch...I am still getting calls from friends asking when my next dive is.

For you rec divers like me...pay attention to Dave's bottom time. His success rely's on his ability to stay down over 80 minutes at 60 ft. It took him almost an hour to get on his "honey bed". Even though Fran put us on a good location, the two of us with alum singles were up in 40 minutes. We still bagged 3+ lbs but no where near his success level.

Dave is also very organized and prepared in case he hits a bed with 70 lbs of catch to retrieve.

Pelicans...float bags and a solid method for retrieval are key.

After 4 tanks on the scallops, I am itching to learn more. Dave was a great help. Thanks.

Eric

For you Lobsta Divers...Just be aware that this is a lot a different from chasing bugs!!!!!

Dave,

You are a scallop diving freak. I mean this in a good way!! Great photos.

But I'm pissed that you didn't give me credit for that fantastic photo of you with those two huge bags of scallops!!! You should have at least watermarked the photo with "coach87"

Armando...you are correct...I have been diving on the daybreaker since 2005 and have only heard rumors that Fran actually scuba dives. I thought he downloaded those Titanic photos from Smithsonian dot com.

Fran and Matt do know their stuff!!!

After giving away most of my catch...I am still getting calls from friends asking when my next dive is.

For you rec divers like me...pay attention to Dave's bottom time. His success rely's on his ability to stay down over 80 minutes at 60 ft. It took him almost an hour to get on his "honey bed". Even though Fran put us on a good location, the two of us with alum singles were up in 40 minutes. We still bagged 3+ lbs but no where near his success level.

Dave is also very organized and prepared in case he hits a bed with 70 lbs of catch to retrieve.

Pelicans...float bags and a solid method for retrieval are key.

After 4 tanks on the scallops, I am itching to learn more. Dave was a great help. Thanks.

Eric

For you Lobsta Divers...Just be aware that this is a lot a different from chasing bugs!!!!!

Well, Eric, I shouldn't be surprised that you're a ScubaBoarder, too! I try not to get too self-centered, but I REALLY wanted a pic of myself and that big pile of scallops! Thanks for the nice shot!

Even if I don't get a bunch of scallops, being out on Fran's charter is always very enjoyable! He and Matt make it a real pleasure.

To me, scallops are like gold nuggets laying on the bottom! I'll only give away a few pounds to my LDS people and a friend or two, but I absolutely HOARD the rest, savoring them in small amounts over many months.... I LOVE 'EM!

By the way, my little tricks are not original, I must give credit to the tips from the guys who used to dive the Piscataqua River. Reportedly, you had to be pretty organized in that current.... :D

Dave C

Dave,

For you rec divers like me...pay attention to Dave's bottom time. His success rely's on his ability to stay down over 80 minutes at 60 ft.

80 minutes at 60 feet puts you into deco on air. It doesn't state those depths or times in Dave's report, you have the 2 dives mixed up.

Dave, do you dive nitrox?
Did you breath your pony bottle on dive 2?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom