Scarey encounters!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealkie once bubbled...
Remember that scene in Jaws where the shark gets stuck in the cage and keeps thrashing until it destorys the cage ...

I was on the first dive of a 5 day liveaboard trip off Guadalupe island to observe white sharks - we were just doing a 30 min session in the cage to get familiar with the entry / exit procedure - no shark have ever been seen on the first dives - 20 mins after getting in a 12 - 14 ft female shows ups - gorgeous - cruising back and fore in front of the cages - what a rush - she lunges for the tuna head bait hanging next to our cage - and misses - but she does cut the rope and the tuna head floats freely directly in front of the cage - she turns and in 2 snaps the head is gone - great shots as she snaps head on to the cage - she keeps moving forward slowly and her snot pokes into the cage - the guy next to me jumps back ( as you would when a 12 ft shark is coming at you ! ) which catches her interest - so she moves a little futher forward with a short spurt of speed - as the cage opening closes on her she realizes she is trapped and starts to thrash = 4 divers pile one end of cage while she trashes the other in attempt to get free - 35 secs later shes out and away - we are left with half a cage !!!!
Have you done this again? Has it put you off?

I havn`t done this trip again yet - I plan to Nov next year - but I did carry on diving the rest of that trip - it was awesome !

White Sharks are just gorgeous

During a dive at some Lake in Florida (Grasshopper Lake?)

I was doing my Rescue Course... Panic Diver exercice... my instructor was pretending the panic... A snake, with a head as big as a football (American football), went out right in front of me from one whole and went into another... I beleive it was over 10ft....

I switched roles with my instructor and became the Panic Diver :)

If you want to read some harrowing tales of shark encounters check out the Spearboard.com site, in reference to Fl and bull sharks Z

holiday dive centres, obviously untrained divers who only get into the water once a year combined with largely uninterested dive centres make for the most dangerous dive situations i have come across.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom