Science Fair Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to do the opposite, and have someone at the top filming as the bottle breaks the surface and goes BOOM. Something for fun in the lake next summer. A ziplock bag makes no noise, not fun. :(

@tddfleming - so now your daughter can no longer choose a project? We're talking grade 8, aren't we? 14 yrs olds.
What you're describing sounds like a Mythbusters episode.

This is her old teacher, he was just "helping" her. Yes, 8th grade, 13 yrs old. And yes, Mythbusters, type stuff. She sounded really excited about this, ugh!!! Maybe she should not have told this teacher that he sucked at basketball the other week. We did color/light absorption last year with this teacher that is helping I am not sure he is really helping at this point.

:confused: Revenge for being told the truth?

How about showing the energetic reactions of the element K at various depths? Then move on to NA, and so on.

[video=youtube;eCk0lYB_8c0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCk0lYB_8c0[/video]

I had a lot of fun with my Son, science project with starch, water, a metal plate, a computer sub-woofer, an MP3 player.
There's a free WAV creator that you can use, to make files at certain frequencies for X amount of seconds.

90 seconds at 220 Hz was ideal. Playing with the volume control would make the starch "worms" either move around, or, at full volume, dance, jump and leap!

starch water speaker - YouTube

Thanks to everyone for your help! I think she came up with something. Hope I get this right. Water displacement using Archamedes Principal. Using fish scales to weigh it above water and compare it UW using a 5 gal bucket as a way to measure the amount of air to make it netural UW, kind of like a lift bag.

I'm so, so disappointed...

Tell her that I said so, I was expecting something spectacular with a possibility of a very loud noise.
In hindsight, I had thought of water displacement, but didn't bother to post it, it being such a simple experiment, not up to my whizzbang standards.

However! She might well redeem herself in my eyes, if she follows the Scientific Method to the letter, to the T, and in a manner worthy of my respect.

Like a Rube Goldberg device that after at least 10 steps pushes the object off the fish scale, into the water... :popcorn:

She was pushing for something to do with weapons, but since that is not allowed, she gave up. However, she would totally support you if you could come up with a good reason to change my mind why she needs a flare gun. It is all I hear about, she has come up with reasons I would never have thought of to use a flare gun, and most are not good. However, there is talk about taking a spare tire to the quarry, we may get asked to leave before we are ready. At least I am still not being asked to put a raw egg in my BC pocket.

A good one with weapons that my cousin and I did was making a pnumatic potato cannon (shot a 500g potato at least 250m) from schedule 80 CPVC and making a custom projectile which took pictures the entire flight. We gave it a little parachute so it could be reused. Fairly easy, all one needed to do was rig a 555 timer circuit to activate the shutter.

It falls upon the duty of my physics class to devise novel ways to light the school's annual bonfire. The most recent method was to build six pneumatic cannons that fire flaming arrows the required 80 meters. One salvo was all it took! (The cannons can shoot the arrows MUCH MUCH farther, but at the higher velocities, the flaming arrows are snuffed out...and we even used road flares, magnesium, and other more exotic incindiary materials.

Loads of fun, though.

In years past, we used rockets, 15 foot trebuches, Roman catapults, and we're toying with remotely controlled aircraft.

It falls upon the duty of my physics class to devise novel ways to light the school's annual bonfire. The most recent method was to build six pneumatic cannons that fire flaming arrows the required 80 meters. One salvo was all it took! (The cannons can shoot the arrows MUCH MUCH farther, but at the higher velocities, the flaming arrows are snuffed out...and we even used road flares, magnesium, and other more exotic incindiary materials.

Loads of fun, though.

In years past, we used rockets, 15 foot trebuches, Roman catapults, and we're toying with remotely controlled aircraft.

WOW! I bet you have kids wanting to come to class??? My daughter would be there with bells on. As she said, "Screw construction, lets do demolition."

Just wanted to share with you all how this is going. One thing that we did not think about was how the fish would react with us doing this. The fish became curious and loved the red pencil, we had to hide it from them as the would not leave it alone. The longer we were there the more the kept showing up. It got to be funny, they were like a little dog and kept bothering her and getting in the way. tootster5.jpgtoots4.jpg

We have to do another round of it next weekend, but interesting.

Thanks again

toots3.jpgtoots1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom