Score!!!! W00t!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
In a car underwater with time to kill....
# of dives
50 - 99
After looking at various cameras and getting other peoples' recommendations for a first underwater camera, I began looking at the Sea & Sea MX-10. Scuba Toys had it for $375, and I thought that was a little steep. I found one (used) offered on eBay, and won the auction. I got it for $152.50 :)

It may not be a top-end camera, but I'm thinking it will be rugged enough to keep in my BC pocket, basic enough so that I'm not constantly fiddling with it underwater, and will take photos that are of satisfactory quality to me.

I'm pretty happy about it. :)

I'm looking for others' experiences with this camera, general impressions, tips on taking the best photos with it, etc. Thanks in advance.

Fish_Whisperer:
After looking at various cameras and getting other peoples' recommendations for a first underwater camera, I began looking at the Sea & Sea MX-10. Scuba Toys had it for $375, and I thought that was a little steep. I found one (used) offered on eBay, and won the auction. I got it for $152.50 :)

Congrats! While most of my Nikonos-bigoted friends look down their wealthy noses at my MX-10, I've taken scores of excellent pix with it. Think of it as a PnS camera that gives you a little more control if you want to do more than take drive-by (swim by?) snapshots. My biggest gripe is that the strobe is fixed too close to the lens and I like to get my strobe off camera ... and have some flexibility in how I position it. There are some aftermarket fiber optic kits that allow you to do that.

You will want to take advantage of the wet-swappable wide angle and macro lenses available. Get in a pool and practice, practice, practice. Then when you take it on a trip, you'll probably grab some pix that you'll be pleased with and proud of.

Even though I've made the move to digital, I still have my trusty MX-10 and all the accessories.

Enjoy!

I agree that you will want to get some accessories. I have a Sea & Sea DX-3100, and by itself it doesn't do too much, but add the strobe, and lenses...I take some pretty nice photos with it. I think you got a great deal on EBay, and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new camera! My camera is the perfect size for me. I have small hands and it never feels too big or bulky, I think they have nice cameras for beginners like me.

LOL! You've got it, Bob!

Thanks, everyone. I'm pretty excited and pleased to have got such a great deal.

I have a Mercury digital with a Bonica housing, but man, that thing just seems to GROW in the water, and the thing acts like it doesn't know what to focus on, plus the lag between focus and shooting, so it's all but worthless.

A simple point-&-shoot is just the thing for a new diver like myself, and as someone who really doesn't like fooling around with a billion settings and buttons. :)

Thanks again! :)

Images and limericks to follow.... :wink:

I started out with an MX-10, it's a great starter. But no, it won't fit in your BC pocket! It is however easy to handle. If at all possible at least get the WA lens for it. The macro lens is great, it's just that framers sticking out in front that most fish don't like!

Just as an example, here's one of my first shots with mine. Taken in Cozumel in '97, on Palancar Gardens.

aak.jpg

Wow... That is an AMAZING shot, Dee! This camera comes with the wide angle lens, Pelican box, owner's manuals for both the camera AND the strobe...

Question for you: Diving Cozumel, because of current, etc, it's probably impractical to have someone hand the camera down to you after you do your giant stride, right? So where did you stow the camera when you were doing your stride, or were you holding it in your left hand, or what? Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom