Scout - LED upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin:
So whats the bottom line.....

Is the LED upgrade for the Scout a good move? I have a flooded Scout, and am looking at replacing the reflector/bulb assembly.

Does anyone actually have the upgrade now and can post some input?

Thanks

had my primary light go out due to not charging it a few nights back. i pulled out my photon torpedo, buddy pulled out an LED scout. LED scout definitely wins.

But, scout is a back up light, not a primary light. Is it worth to have LED? It is depending on your preference and financial status. I think it is an over kill.

hoosier:
But, scout is a back up light, not a primary light. Is it worth to have LED? It is depending on your preference and financial status. I think it is an over kill.

case in question, viz was lousy, i was trying to swim in my buddy's HID light circles so they could see me, my light simply wasn't visible at all. i'm definitely going to be getting the LED upgrade.

hoosier:

I'm with you on this, besides you have two backup lights for tech/cave diving, that should be enough to carry the risk of:
1.shorter burn time
2.fragile bulbs
3.shorter lifetime of the bulb
for the SL4 incandescent bulb.

I think it's just a matter of time until someone can retrofit a luxeon led into SL4 'housing'. If it's possible with ordinary Mag flashlights maybe it's also possible with scout. And 100$+ for the mod only is a bit steep for me, considering the LED itself is only worth 40$ or so.

I was considering upgrading the Scout to make it useful for other things. Out here in the Channel Islands we have lots of crevices in rock, small caves, etc.. I wanted to see if the Scout with the LED upgrade is comparable to the miriad of other LED backup lights now on the market. I have a feeling its not.

I dove with someone who had a light similar in size to my Scout, and it spanked my Scout all over the place for low vis/low light/hole peeking stuff. But I don't have the LED upgrade.

BlueDolphin:
I dove with someone who had a light similar in size to my Scout, and it spanked my Scout all over the place for low vis/low light/hole peeking stuff. But I don't have the LED upgrade.
What you want is not the Scout. Get a PCa or UK SL4 or something.

Here is a comparison between the halcyon LED, the Uk q40 and the ikelite pclite(4 c-cell). I received my scout upgrade today, and to be honest i am really pleased with it compared to other leds i've owned.scout-right, ike-left, q40 top

Hi Tristessa,

I'm wondering how far away are the lights? I understand that LEDS have rather poor throws.

Thanks

SangP

probably around 7'5 feet from the floor(where the lights were) to the ceiling. Leds do have poor throws, but this halcyon bulb is the best i have personally ever seen in led lights.I'd say the beam doubles in size from this picture at about 35' feet . It' lights objects up pretty nice to about 30' away maybe farther. Compared to the halcyon halogen bulb, it's amazing. Also, i think the price is a little too much! But at least you get a quality(indestructible) body, and nice output for the money, compared to other lights in the 100$ range that aren't good even for reading in bed.

Back
Top Bottom