Scratched Cornea...safe to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCSCUBADOOBA

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going diving tomorrow morning and last night scratched my cornea while taking out my contact lens.
Does anyone know if this is anything that would stop me from diving?
Angela

NCSCUBADOOBA:
I am going diving tomorrow morning and last night scratched my cornea while taking out my contact lens.
Does anyone know if this is anything that would stop me from diving?

Angela

This happens to me occasionally and usually requires 24 hrs to heal. I would think salt water and bright sun would be painful.

That could be quite painful, salt water will probably really sting.
Might be best to wait a day or so.:blinking:

I would call your Dr or DAN......all you are going to get here is opinions.....

Wouldnt risk my eyes that way.

Angela,

Here is a link that may answer a question or two,

http://www.scuba-doc.com/diveye.htm#Diving After Eye Surgery

It says a lacerated cornea can open a path for infection. I've been told that the cornea heals very quickly.

Like everyone else said, call DAN.

I hope you are able to make it out on the dive tomorrow. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Pat

Thanks guys.
I've had a much worse case of a scratched cornea. I've got a prescription mask so I don't have to wear contacts (removing them is how I did this) and I hope to not have to get any saltwater in my eyes :) I'll call DAN to be safe, but still planning on the dive. I was wondering about pressure and the scratch if it would have an effect. Hey Pat... do you have a sister, Catherine?
Angela

DAN's response, since this topic has never been on the boards:
"Dear Angela,
Thank you for your e-mail and membership support. Most mild corneal abrasions heal within 24 hours provided there is no secondary infection. There is no unique problems with diving other than be mindful to avoid mask squeeze and the irritation from the sea water. If we can be any further assistance do not hesitate to contact DAN. "

I've had a scratched cornea a couple times to know that it's no fun. If it's not that serious of a scratch you should be fvine, however, I'm betting that the sunlight will be a real ***** due to the sensitivity of your eye. I doubt that I'd be out diving based on the bright sunlight with a cornea scratch.

For more serious scratches, see an opthamologist for a prescription of Ocuflux. It's great for such injuries.

Disclaimer: I'm not an eye doc nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so check with a real doc before puttin prescription drugs in your eyes.

Hope that's all helpful.

-mike

This area is what I do and teach for a living. I will give some general information not specific medical advise. The cornea will usually heal in 24 hours from minor cuts or abrasions.. However, depending on the injury and your personal healing rate it may take longer. Diving with a corneal injury does increase your risk of an infection. The only way to know for sure is to have your eye doc check your cornea before you dive.
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom