scrawny girl needs BC advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFM

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished o/w cert. I'm looking forward to blowing money on gear, but could use some opinions first. My main concern is finding a comfy BC. I'm about 5' 1" and weigh about 105 lbs. I'm pretty darn scrawny, but I still have the hip issues. I wasn't blessed with much of anything on top, but I have a petite frame. During training the BCD was either cutting off circulation to my arms or was too loose. The weight belt was no good. It was all very much uncomfortable and tiring. I want to make sure I get something that fits so that I can more efficiently maneuver with the tank and extra weight. Anybody out there with a similar issue and advice?

EFM:
I recently finished o/w cert. I'm looking forward to blowing money on gear, but could use some opinions first. My main concern is finding a comfy BC. I'm about 5' 1" and weigh about 105 lbs. I'm pretty darn scrawny, but I still have the hip issues. I wasn't blessed with much of anything on top, but I have a petite frame. During training the BCD was either cutting off circulation to my arms or was too loose. The weight belt was no good. It was all very much uncomfortable and tiring. I want to make sure I get something that fits so that I can more efficiently maneuver with the tank and extra weight. Anybody out there with a similar issue and advice?

EFM,

Think about the DUI weight harness, it's sort of a weight belt with suspenders. The weight pockets are ditchable, and you don the DUI harness before you put on your BC. Great if you lack hips.

Second general suggestion is, regardless of the style of BC you choose, use a crotch strap. This will help with "cutting off circulation" for your arms. The crotch strap holds you up in the harness, instead of hanging by your arm pits.

Now having said the above I will point out that we build Backplates and wings. These are available in Small (you) medium and large sizes, and include a crotch strap............:D

Good Luck

Tobin George

EFM:
I'm about 5' 1" and weigh about 105 lbs. I'm pretty darn scrawny.....

How about slender? Or petite?

Women can be so darned hard on themselves....:)

EFM:
Hi. I suggest checking out the Zeagle Escape. It is a back inflate BC with a weight integrated system. Nice BC.

I am tall and slender (with not much busting out at the top!), so I too was looking for a comfortable BC that I felt secure and comfortable in. After trying a few different ones, I ended up with the Zeagle Zena. It has the perfect balance of snug and comfortable going on throughout the entire dive. I never have to "adjust" mid-dive. I love it! Not recommended for the ladies blessed with large bosoms, though. :)

Well, I used to think I was petite, but most of the petite clothes are too big so I've decided that I'm mostly scrawny. It seems to be the best descriptor of the situation. Ya know, I wouldn't mind trying out that airbrush though. :)

Thanks for the specific suggestions. They'll help me figure out where I need to go and what to start trying on.

EFM:
Well, I used to think I was petite, but most of the petite clothes are too big so I've decided that I'm mostly scrawny. It seems to be the best descriptor of the situation. Ya know, I wouldn't mind trying out that airbrush though. :)

Thanks for the specific suggestions. They'll help me figure out where I need to go and what to start trying on.

It's the same whether you're big small or medium. You'll need to go try some on. when you find one you like, see if the store has it available as a rental, and try it in the water.

Terry

Ladies, I think a back plate and wings is the best thing since, well I dont know, something really good.

I think the zeagle recommendation is a good one, highly adjustable BCs. If you find that the escape is too big then you might want to try on a zeagle ranger jr. It's a kids bc but it is quite adjustable too. My son is 5 3 (but only 80 lbs, talk about scrawney!!!) and it works really well for him.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom