Suggestion ScuabBoard Splash Page Needs Improvement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
NothingClever

NothingClever

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our splash page needs to be updated with content that is more broadly appealing to existing and potential divers.

The splash page's disproportionate attention towards advertisers and the detailed list of user metrics is a crass misrepresentation of what I perceive to be the Board's original intention, that of bringing divers together to share passion, knowledge, skills and experiences in a single location.

While virtual community interaction is happening, it appears to me that ScubaBoard has drifted towards a slippery slope of favoring the quantity of site traffic over the quality of content. I think the website metrics on the splash page reflect where ScubaBoard's priorities have drifted. We have several excellent moderators while one or two others should be thanked for the time they have volunteered but ultimately released from their duties. I don't want to detract from the moderators who are skilled, experienced problem solvers that successfully guide conversations. To the contrary, I think their hard work sets the standard and that their efforts should be emulated by the other moderators (and expected of them). However, what I see more often than their hard work lately is uneven site moderation with bickering allowed to run on and on while other threads are mysteriously censored for the most innocuous ripple. The fact that bickering is allowed to go on and on is what reinforces for me that site traffic is more important than productive discourse.

I recommend the splash page space be used for a rotational marquee that showcases:

1) Upcoming SB Invasion trips and who the organizer is
2) Dive history reflecting the periodic advances in gear, techniques and trends
3) Reminders of principles and procedures (common to all certifying agencies) that reinforce good dive habits
4) Articles of significance (and not a thinly veiled advertisement for a certifying agency)
5) High quality photos of sealife with basic biological data and habitat (and a special mention of the diver who took the photo)

Three of the five examples above are already in progress by individuals here on the Board (save for the principles and procedures announcement). I don't think it would be a huge lift to have them submit content to a Moderator for upload.

While maintaining a page with metrics for advertisers is important, I think that can be provided through a link from the splash page.

No other forum I belong to nor the e-commerce websites I frequent have the obnoxious splash page that we do.

Those of us who complain about the state of the industry have an opportunity to improve what divers and potential divers see when they search out a forum to enhance their knoweldge of diving.

We can do better.

I agree, if what you mean by splash page is our Home page. It looks like about 20% of our members start ScubaBoard at the Home page:

Unfortunately, having the ability to define this problem is not the same as having the talent to solve it. There's a reason that Web page designers for graphics and content are dedicated professions in high demand.

All the pages after the Home page are largely designed by xenForo, the software ScubaBoard runs on. We have some flexibility to customize them through an admin program but the foundation is set. Pete (@The Chairman) has been looking for volunteers with these talents for years.

Back
Top Bottom